Fox News reports "Hoppy beer causes man boobs"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FTFA:

"Men who drink lot of hoppy beer, like a strong India Pale Ale, may see some unwanted effects, like man boobs, premature aging, sluggishness, tooth decay, hair loss and a beer belly."

_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png

Huh. Sounds like someone dosent like IPA's and wants to make them go away, OR, someone dosent like craft beer and wants to see sales decline.

Excess calories and aging are a much better explanation for acquiring man boobs from drinking a lot of beer.

The phytoestrogens found in hops have a very low bioavailability...I wouldn't worry about it

---------------------------------->>
Men who drink lot of hoppy beer, like a strong India Pale Ale, may see some unwanted effects, like man boobs, premature aging, sluggishness, tooth decay, hair loss and a beer belly.
<<------------------------------

So if I didn't drink hoppy beer I'd be:
thin
have my hair back
have fewer cavities
and be spy

I thought man boobs came from drinking a lot of beer and becoming overweight.
Silly me.

Now I can go back to using gruit and drink a six pack a day and not get man boobs.
I'll be brewing every week - woohoo!:tank:

All kidding aside, here is a scientific rebuttal

http://www.brauweltinternational.com/pdf/BRAUWELTInternational_1_2004_hopsteiner.pdf

This comes up every so often and everyone freaks out. You'd have to drink a TON of ipa to grow man boobs.

I've been drinking IPA's for a very long time, and at times in excess, and I have no man boobs. I don't really workout very often or eat super healthy all the time. Just a regular average guy here with no man boobs.

All I had to see was "Fox News" haha. What a joke of a news network.

Quoted from that article:

It can be concluded from these investigations
that the estrogenic activity of hops,
from an objective point of view, does not
support any reservations about negative
effects on beer. Reports such as on “feminisation”
of beer drinkers cannot be proven
scientifically.​

That's really too bad. No longer can I tell my wife, "I need to drink more beer to better get in touch with my feelings."

My guesses would be...

1) Someone--probably a healthy/"all-natural" food nut--read half of a study and jumped to conclusions. Fox saw the sensational headline and ran with it, because **** fact-checking.

or

2) Fox has some powerful sponsors *cough* who would like to see people consuming less hoppy beer.

I didn't realize it was a Fox News study. I thought they were just reporting on it.

and why would they report such erroneous information?
See my post above above about sponsors...
It is a sad era for mainline media. In fact I would say it is a sad era for all media - especially in the age of communication/information/technology that we live in now.
Hardly anything can be trusted, and media corporations are directed almost exclusively by political agenda and advertising revenue. /removetinfoilhat

Hardly anything can be trusted, and media corporations are directed almost exclusively by political agenda and advertising revenue. /removetinfoilhat

I don't think that's even tin foil hat theory anymore. It's pretty much fact.

Watch two channels (FOX & MSNBC) and see the two conflicting viewpoints of the same exact story. Both will show some facts, but neglect others to fit whatever side they are on. It's also rare to see them report negatively on a sponsor and/or major contributor. Definitely a huge bias in the news, so I make sure to use multiple sources before I make any decision.

Hoppy beer causes man boobs? Sounds like something my youngest son would say if he didn't like something or was mad. "Yea, well... Lego's cause cancer!".

Faux News. Megyn Kelly could use a few barrels of IPA herself.

Fox News only news station i can "tolerate" and thats at the gym where we have about 4 stations to choose from on cardio machines, all the big networks are a joke anymore

I thought "brewer's droop" was called "whiskey dick?"

But, I do have man boobs.

They just get really hard when I flex.

Back