Four weeks of farting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIC0

Reaction score
Not me but an American Amber IPA I have which started out at 1.086 on 11/29 and there is still slight/slow activity via the air lock.

I'm in no hurry it can sit for 2 more weeks but wow I thought 20 days was long with a red a year ago.

Anyone else seen activity for this long??

"Not me but an American Amber IPA..." Isn't that kind of like blaming it on the dog? :)

That's a very high OG. It would seem reasonable that it's either going to take a while or possibly stall. I have a Saison that I'm trying to finish fermenting now (OG 1.080) that stalled at 1.044. I learned that the yeast I'm using (Wyeast 3724) has a tendency to stall and lower room temps. I've moved it to a smaller room with a space heater and temps close to 80F and now I'm seeing action again in the bubbler and hopefully my gravity will come down into bottling range soon.

Not me but an American Amber IPA I have which started out at 1.086 on 11/29 and there is still slight/slow activity via the air lock.

I'm in no hurry it can sit for 2 more weeks but wow I thought 20 days was long with a red a year ago.

Anyone else seen activity for this long??

This guy right here. Brewed an IIPA with an OG of 1.094 and it was pushing farts through five feet of blow off tube and a quart of star san for three weeks; pulled the blow off and put and airlock and moved it out of the chamber into a closet and it just roused the little pecker right back up. It's been four weeks; my OG is at 1.014 so I'm saying eff it and cold-crashing then kegging. I want to drink this damn thing!

I took a gravity reading a week ago and it was 1.014 so it's going to be some rocket fuel for sure. I might try and get the temp up so it will finish up sometime this year. Oh wait this year is almost over...:D

I pitched 2 packs of dry yeast, probably too much 1.5 would have worked but I started with 1.5, then pitched the rest 3 days later as it was slow to start.

Back