Founders sells 30% to Spain.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope this is good news and not bad.....they're my favorite brewery! Apparently I need to come up with a Dirty Bastard clone ASAP

Founders is pretty readily available here in Ireland. I'd imagine getting in with San Miguel is a move to have an even bigger presence in Europe.

I wonder if American Breweries will start popping up around Europe? I think I remember Stone trying to do that a couple years back, I never followed up on it. But, I'm sure they would have told me about it...hah

Founders is investing a huge amount to expand their production. They are building a production plant in GR near downtown IIRC. I believe the two things may be related, as they will need to expand if they want to cover more of the US, let alone expanding more into foreign markets.

Having this other company buying a share of Founders is one way to raise capital immediately for the expansion project.

Founders is investing a huge amount to expand their production. They are building a production plant in GR near downtown IIRC. I believe the two things may be related, as they will need to expand if they want to cover more of the US, let alone expanding more into foreign markets.

Having this other company buying a share of Founders is one way to raise capital immediately for the expansion project.

Let's hope this means I'll be able to get CBS and KBS in Kansas....wishful thinking.

If this was done to raise capital while keeping control of the brewery, then I am all for it. Wishful thinking, but I would hope they would up production of CBS and KBS.

Quoted from an update article:

"Stevens said the deal with Mahou helps keep the “never-ending vacuum suck of private equity” investors and other wolves at bay."

Makes sense.

If this was done to raise capital while keeping control of the brewery, then I am all for it. Wishful thinking, but I would hope they would up production of CBS and KBS.

Haha, I doubt it. It really seems that beers like this are entirely scarce out of the sake of scarcity itself. Like when Nintendo launched the Wii, they actually held back shipments to create more demand. Shelfs were sold out continuously for like 6 months

I've only had the chance to try KBS twice. Last time was when I was still in college. 1 case got shipped to a single store in my town and they casually just put it on the shelf with a "1 per customer" sign with no announcement or anything. I was lucky to be in the store early afternoon and grabbed one of the last 4

Haha, I doubt it. It really seems that beers like this are entirely scarce out of the sake of scarcity itself. Like when Nintendo launched the Wii, they actually held back shipments to create more demand. Shelfs were sold out continuously for like 6 months

I've only had the chance to try KBS twice. Last time was when I was still in college. 1 case got shipped to a single store in my town and they casually just put it on the shelf with a "1 per customer" sign with no announcement or anything. I was lucky to be in the store early afternoon and grabbed one of the last 4

Agreed. If they didn't keep it low then they couldn't revel in the lines they create. I've had KBS once and never had CBS. I got one bottle by super weird fluke.

KBS is kind of special because they age it for a year in caves under GR. They claim to have limited space available for this.

I am unsure if they would even consider aging in other caves (actually old mines I think) to expand production, but they've claimed this as one reason they are unable to distribute it more generously. I'm suspect, but I'm also not one to call someone a liar without ample proof.

In any case, I think New Holland's Dragon's Milk is a very close second and it's not as expensive and available all year long in my nearby Meijer store.

KBS is kind of special because they age it for a year in caves under GR. They claim to have limited space available for this.

I am unsure if they would even consider aging in other caves (actually old mines I think) to expand production, but they've claimed this as one reason they are unable to distribute it more generously. I'm suspect, but I'm also not one to call someone a liar without ample proof.

In any case, I think New Holland's Dragon's Milk is a very close second and it's not as expensive and available all year long in my nearby Meijer store.

Is Dragon's Milk barrel aged?

It's actually old gypsum mines, not caves. And I suppose I've never verified this, but I have been told that they only have limited access to certain parts of the mines, therefore limited space.

Is Dragon's Milk barrel aged?

They are typically aged for 6 months in bourbon barrels. Interestingly, they also have a beer barrel bourbon that gets aged in dragons milk barrels. I'm no bourbon connoisseur but I drink that stuff regularly.

It's actually old gypsum mines, not caves. And I suppose I've never verified this, but I have been told that they only have limited access to certain parts of the mines, therefore limited space.

They are typically aged for 6 months in bourbon barrels. Interestingly, they also have a beer barrel bourbon that gets aged in dragons milk barrels. I'm no bourbon connoisseur but I drink that stuff regularly.

I saw that stuff in the liquor forum....is it any good? Must be if you drink it regularly. I'm guessing its fairly limited distribution. Hows it work?

Barrels have bourbon, then beer, then (same?) bourbon goes back in? Neat concept, but from a law(or whatever regulates the criteria for bourbon) POV....can it really be considered Bourbon?

Either way, I'd like to give it a shot.

Barrels have bourbon, then beer, then (same?) bourbon goes back in? Neat concept, but from a law(or whatever regulates the criteria for bourbon) POV....can it really be considered Bourbon?

Interesting thought.. I'm no expert but, guy at centeral waters explained the whole bourbon barrel thing pretty well. The just of it was, under federal law barrels can only be used one time. After that you can put beer or whatever the hell else you want in it but, not liquor.
I'd have to say no, maybe theres loopholes in the law though

They make the white whiskey, age it in new charred oak barrels, so there you have your bourbon. After that, they transfer it into the dragons milk barrels for the final aging. As for the legality of it, I'm going to assume it's on the up and up, because everything they do goes through the proper alcohol control channels.

As far as how it tastes, I guess that's all a matter of preference. I've never been much of a whiskey drinker, but I've been getting into it lately. I'm still no connoisseur, but I like it (Beer Barrel Bourbon). It's not my favorite as I tend to lean heavily toward rye whiskeys. I have the Distiller app on my iPhone, and the two New Holland whiskeys on there are both rated in the 60s. In the meantime, there is stuff rated in the 90s that I didn't care for at all.

Founders is pretty readily available here in Ireland....

Founder's is great, one of my favorite brewer's, I'm aging my Founder's Breakfast Stout clone now.....but.....you're in Wicklow? As in the Wicklow Mountains, home of the brewing water for Guinness? Ahhh, nothing like a REAL fresh Guinness on tap in one of Dublin's pubs!! :mug:

Yep thats where I am. Water is really soft here. Its great for brewing. And the Guinness is ok too. ;)

According to their spec sheet Dragon's Milk is aged 90+ days. Gives them a little leeway I guess.

I've had their Beer Barrel Bourbon and although I am no connysewer either, I liked it as well as any I've tried. Not sure I could pick out any stout flavors, but it's pretty smooth and flavorful. They make a bunch of really good beers, but I'm curious to try their hop tequila. I should plan a trip over there in the spring.

Back