Found some old ingredients, are they still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TuttleCreekBrewing

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have a rather ... unusual ... situation, I'd like to know what all of you experts think!

About a year ago, I moved out of my house. It FINALLY sold recently, and when I was cleaning out the fridge, I found some recipe kits that I had forgotten. (I know, I know....) They are partial-mash kits, so there are packages of mixed grain, as well as some containers of LME. The hops were in the freezer.

The question is, is any of this any good anymore?

I would imagine most of this is past its "shelf life," but it was all stored in the refrigerator, which was barely if ever opened.

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance!!

I just used a can of LME I had in the back room for about three years. My son and I made beer over Christmas and one of the worts was low OG, so I used the LME to bring up the gravity. It worked fine, in fact, it's our favorite out of the four fermentors that we did.

Of course, give it a visual inspection and smell test, but I'd use it. Mine wasn't even in the fridge.

Back in the dark ages, everything we got was old and dusty. Beck, brew it up, what do you have to loose a little time and water. I would bet it will taste either okay or great.

Back