Found it!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rklene

Reaction score
I've been fighting a leak in my keg system for weeks. The leak was hiding from me because I'd spray the whole thing down and nothing. Finally today I hooked my lines up individually to my compressed air and I found it on my co2 line. It only leaked when the hose was bent a certain way do to a loose hose clamp. Didn't see when testing but must have bent when put in the fridge.

Was that using a worm clamp?? Never had any leak issues using Oetiker clamps. :D I've been replacing the old worm clamps with Oetiker clamps as I get the chance on my kegs. Everyplace else that I have any kind of clamp need, I use Oetiker clamps now. I have the different sizes I need on hand, and good crimping tools. One of the best decisions I ever made was to switch to them.

Was that using a worm clamp?? Never had any leak issues using Oetiker clamps. :D I've been replacing the old worm clamps with Oetiker clamps as I get the chance on my kegs. Everyplace else that I have any kind of clamp need, I use Oetiker clamps now. I have the different sizes I need on hand, and good crimping tools. One of the best decisions I ever made was to switch to them.

I hate oetikers. Sure, they go on nice, but taking them off is a bear. Yes, I have "the tool", but wire snips work better. Plus, there's an infinite number of sizes, and you need the right one.

I think the best thing is the simple cable tie. I've got the tool for that too. Super easy on/off. And, one size fits all.

(full disclosure, I still use worms on my gas lines).

I hate oetikers. Sure, they go on nice, but taking them off is a bear. Yes, I have "the tool", but wire snips work better. Plus, there's an infinite number of sizes, and you need the right one.

I think the best thing is the simple cable tie. I've got the tool for that too. Super easy on/off. And, one size fits all.

(full disclosure, I still use worms on my gas lines).

Getting them off really isn't an issue to me. Takes about the same amount of time as getting a worm clamp off. Sure, you can't reuse it, but they cost so little who cares?

I usually use either metal snips to cut them, or one of the crimping tools I have. I remove them so infrequently, that it's even less of an issue. Once it's on, I don't worry (one bit) about a leak (of any kind)...

For the record, I was against them at the start. Then I had leaks in the gas line at the worm clamps. Getting those tight was far more work than using Oetiker clamps (even getting them off if needed).

Also, each size covers a range of hoses. It's more a matter of the hose sizes WE use don't fall into just one clamp size. I use them for my silicone tubing, my Bevlex beer and gas hoses, and anything else that they could work with. Since doing so, zero leaks...

BTW, zip ties are fine at [very] LOW pressures. I wouldn't risk them at keg pressure ranges for a nanosecond. :eek:

Leaks are the biggest pain on kegging systems. When you lose two 20# co2 tanks in a span of 3 weeks, you fondly reminisce about the bottling days.

I just put an amber ale in the fermenter and I was planning on bottle conditioning before I found the leak.

Latest posts

Back