Found a bucket after 2 years

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortrc

Reaction score
I decided that this January was going to be a month of consolidation and getting rid of all the junk I have been accumulating in my house over the years. I have been putting off this one closet for months but finally this weekend got the motivation to enter this cave. I got to the back and noticed a bucket, a bucket full of beer. Now right around 2 years ago one of my brewing buddies and I made a barley wine. We were able to use the second runnings to make another beer. We hadn't planned on making 2, didn't have any hops so we decided to use black tea to bitter and a ton of ginger to add aroma. I threw it in my closet and forgot about it until now. I popped the lid and found this
np5ULSX.jpg

AatL3Ms.jpg

Infected right? It smells like beer but I don't have the courage to sample it yet.

2 Things.

1) You posted this gem clearly for encouragement to try it. So suck it up, because posting it here of all places is like making a bet and not following through with it.

2) Since it was in a bucket this long it's probably oxidized to high hell. However, you won't know until you see number 1.

Seriously. You have to try it.:drunk:

Be sure to take a gravity reading to make sure fermentation is done before racking to secondary or bottling. You don't want bottle bombs.

This is a good point. When in doubt let it sit in the primary for another 2 years and then check the gravity to see if it has leveled off and is stable. That is how you know you will be safe. :mug:

I'm subscribing, if the OP doesn't post back in the next 24hrs, I'm assuming he either discovered the greatest sour barleywine recipe ever created and is now safeguarding and trademarking his recipe, or he tried some and croaked.

This is a good point. When in doubt let it sit in the primary for another 2 years and then check the gravity to see if it has leveled off and is stable. That is how you know you will be safe. :mug:

I thought that if you had three similar gravity readings three years in a row then you can safely bottle. Have I been doing it wrong? :doh:

I was laughing hard about taking a gravity sample. too bad you didn't put some bugs in it 2 years ago.
how did it taste?

Add some cbc-1 and bottle it and c what happens. For all the freaking out we do about infections and oxidation this just shows how resilient beer actually is.

I think this is one of the things that makes homebrewing addictive and obsessive. This beer is practically impossible to replicate. There are so many unique characteristics that it warrants almost a "special event" to even open a bottle.

No matter what you do, when it's gone it's gone, and you'll never make it again. From your 2nd runnings to your fermentation conditions over the past 2 years. I can't believe it's not oxidized to unpalatable levels.

I think I'd bottle one or two bottles and send them to either a lab to get the true numbers of it, and/or enter it into the Misc. category of a competition just for the ****s and giggles.

Either way, enjoy it! :mug:

Anyone know where to get the little shot bottles for beer like they have with liqour? He could send us all a bottle right?

Amazing. That looked like an acetobacter infection. Does it have any sourness at all?

No sourness at all. The ginger is very overpowering. I'm thinking of bottling this one instead of kegging. I tend to kick legs pretty quick and this one is kinda special.

No sourness at all. The ginger is very overpowering. I'm thinking of bottling this one instead of kegging. I tend to kick legs pretty quick and this one is kinda special.

Definitely bottle! You'll want to let a couple sit around for another year or two. Do some research, but you'll probably want to put some fresh yeast in the bottling bucket. I doubt there's much viability left in whatever yeast you originally used.

Plan to keg it this weekend. That's if I wake up of course.

...and don't manage to forget about it in the meantime.

I shouldn't joke. We moved last summer and while cleaning out the closet in the man cave I found some small stocking stuffer gifts I'd purchased for my wife for Christmas three years ago and completely forgotten about.

Latest posts

Back