Found 04 in fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerD

Reaction score
Found some Safale 04 in the fridge and used it up tonight. I was going to do a MO smash, but my water on hand wasn't going to allow me to get that light without adding alot of salts (I follow the spreadsheets religiously). I threw in 3/4 lb 45 crystal and 1/4lb 85 crystal with 10lbs MO and 3oz EKG. Here's to a simple Bitters and hoping I'll like the 04 as much as the 05.

S-04 is really good if you hit your temps. It flocs well and ferments REALLY fast, but make sure you don't let it get too warm!

A bit of gypsum is a nice addition in an hoppy beer if the mash pH is too high, I like ~200 ppm sulfate for my bitters. If you need more calcium than that you should consider diluting your water with some distilled to bring the (bi)carbonate down.

Good to hear, using S-04 for the first time right now. Doing a partially pre-boil soured old ale thing.

Latest posts

Back