FOTHB IV: Trying to Catch Me Brewin' Dirty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sauces by JDXX1971
IMG_20180516_180918494.jpeg

@FunkedOut I got your bottle of Datil sauce today too. :) Tried it just now on some crackers, good stuff. :yes:

What happened to the Scorpion pepper sauce?:(

@FunkedOut I got your bottle of Datil sauce today too. :) Tried it just now on some crackers, good stuff. :yes:

What happened to the Scorpion pepper sauce?:(
Say what?!
There were two bottles in that tube when it left here.
Did it only show up with one?
Did it look like one broke and spilled?
Or was it stollen outright?
Get me some pics of that packaging.
UPS is getting claimed.

Okay, so this is what I have so far.

Who has already shipped
@TwistedGray
@Scturo
@FunkedOut
@JDXX1971
@TBC

Who is shipping within the next week or so
@Dade0
@fourfarthing

Whose beer is in the works
@imasickboy

Unknown
@jerbrew (?)

If Jerbrew can confirm shipment, I might as well get the next thread going. I suspect most of us who brewed for this round have brews left for the next round? I am debating on the timeline...input would be appreciated.

I will be packaging up and sending out my HB this week.

Everything made it perfectly. Very intrigued by this bottle of cherry wine and very glad you sent two of each of the others.

So let me know about the carb level on the NEIPA and Two Hearted. I used carbonation tabs so I didn’t have to break out the beer gun. I used 3 tabs in each. Let me know if that is fine or if I need to raise/lower in the future.

The wife loves the cherry wine. All I do is make it. I’m not a wine guy. I have a peach Bellini in a Carboy now. The plan is to bottle half and keg half since I needed to buy a 2.5 gal keg on here a while ago and still haven’t used it.

That ESB I found is about a year old. I found a 12 pack in the cellar. That was bottled with the beer gun. Hopefully it isn’t oxidized.

The RIS I threw in is about 1.5-2 years old. It’s mellowing out but getting a little thin.

I will be shipping next week and should have enough on hand to do the next round at that point too.

Got a sinus infection, so shipping is looking like next week, as I still have some bottles to fill.... Also, haven't had a beer since last Wednesday and have a few bottles that I would like to empty.

Received a nice package today from @Dade0 !

Cream Ale (different from fothb 3)
Wit
American Brown
NEIPA
Surprises = Gose & Cyser

Really looking forward to getting into these. Just put them in cold now.
Thanks for the hook up, sir.

Last edited:
Haven't heard back from @imasickboy yet. Tracking info says my offer was delivered in good condition.

Unfortunate carrier vandalism took place with my hot sauces to @JDXX1971 .
I am still working with UPS to get him squared away...

Received a nice package today from @Dade0 !

Cream Ale (different from fothb 3)
Wit
American Brown
NEIPA
Surprises = Gose & Wyser

Really looking forward to getting into these. Just put them in cold now.
Thanks for the hook up, sir.
Here is Abit more info about them.

Purple Rain- Cyser

This mix of Apple Juice and Honey is from last Fall. I used a Butterfly Pea Tea to give it a bit of color.

Cream Ale w/ Vic Secret

I have made this Cream Ale a couple of times and this time Whirlpooled with 1 oz of Vic Secret for a bit. I am assuming that is why is was not clear at bottling. It is usually super clear without finings.

NEIPA

This NEIPA turnout to not be hazy like it should be. It was hazy right up until it was bottled.

The hops are Citra, Mosaic and Eukanot.

Gose

This is a no Lacto Gose. I use acidulated malt for the tartness.

American Brown

This was made for a competition where I was assigned a style. I am not sure if I would ever have made this on my own. A hoppy Brown.

Wit

This is a style I really like. Mine turn out a bit more turbid than some people are comfortable with. This version used a jar of Cascade Candy syrup made for Wit with orange and coriander in it. I usually candy my own oranges and crush the coriander. There is also some grains of Paradise in it.

Haven't heard back from @imasickboy yet. Tracking info says my offer was delivered in good condition.

Unfortunate carrier vandalism took place with my hot sauces to @JDXX1971 .
I am still working with UPS to get him squared away...
UPS told me to go fly a kite.
They said my packaging was not sufficient so they are not liable. Claim denied.
Why was my packaging not sufficient?
Because it only had 1" of bubble wrap between the item and the "box" while they require 2" minimum.
Mind you, this was not a box, it was one of those thick cardboard shipping tubes.

FedEx just gained a customer. This is the second time UPS kills my stuff and doesn't pay up. The other time, they took an extra $100 off me for insurance. That time, I had those large air bags between a wooden box (which they splintered) and the cardboard box, over 10" worth. They said I should've used packing peanuts, so they weren't liable. I hope it was worth it.

Any idea about the next time frame? Looks like after June they're slicing overtime so with lots of time on my hands....I'll be perfecting this 3.5gal batch system. As you know this process means LOTS-O-HB coming...probably mid-late August.

Any idea about the next time frame? Looks like after June they're slicing overtime so with lots of time on my hands....I'll be perfecting this 3.5gal batch system. As you know this process means LOTS-O-HB coming...probably mid-late August.

As soon as I get confirmation that the final three have shipped I'll set something up. I think the turn around time between set up, offers needed, and shipping shouldn't be too long given that most everyone had to brew some batch for this one.

My guess as of today would be end of June-ish (picking)

As soon as I get confirmation that the final three have shipped I'll set something up. I think the turn around time between set up, offers needed, and shipping shouldn't be too long given that most everyone had to brew some batch for this one.

My guess as of today would be end of June-ish (picking)
Well...just sampled one that's getting ready to keg and there's hope so that gives me 6 now...I try not to burn through them! [emoji16]

Shipment to @TwistedGray left on it's long journey yesterday. I've done a terrible job of communication this round, and deserve to be publicly shamed. As a slight apology, even though I said there would be no extras, I did have room to drop in two varieties of homemade <something or another>.

146B8472-4679-421A-B42D-19CB867D4E83.jpeg
@fourfarthing package arrived today. I don’t know how. It was crushed and smelt like beer. Only lost 1. On the far right. Other than that it looks like it just made the labels unreadable. One has a dragon, one says winter, Christmas, harry, and I’m not sure about the other 2. We will get to test my taste buds and see if I can identify the style! Hanks for the treehouse also.

****. That was packed a ton!!

Green Dragon is an IPA
Harry is a porter
Cat with blue ink is a Brett IPA
Winter is old ale
Christmas is spiced old ale.

You should have two of each. Whatever is missing let me know and I will include with the saisons to come.

poopy. That was packed a ton!!

Green Dragon is an IPA
Harry is a porter
Cat with blue ink is a Brett IPA
Winter is old ale
Christmas is spiced old ale.

You should have two of each. Whatever is missing let me know and I will include with the saisons to come.

If you said it was packed a ton then they must have repacked it. What I posted was all I received. I only got 7 bottles and the 2 cans. The only packing in the box was 2 pieces of brown paper and the 2 pvc tubes. They must have repacked it and like me to still deliver it! The opened bottle I threw in the freezer. I’m not going to waste what’s left!

Yeah. You are 3 beers short and I had that packed to the gils bc of all the glass....

Drink it. I know what you are owed based in the pic but let me know what you like and it will be what I send. You at least got one of each...

Side note. I just saw it was UPS. I hate them. This is the third time I’ve had issues with them. The 1 package came all the way from Florida and then it was damaged at the York, PA facility which is about 2 miles from me and they threw it out supposedly. I quit dealing with them and now have a FedEx account which I use exclusively.

Side note. I just saw it was UPS. I hate them. This is the third time I’ve had issues with them. The 1 package came all the way from Florida and then it was damaged at the York, PA facility which is about 2 miles from me and they threw it out supposedly. I quit dealing with them and now have a FedEx account which I use exclusively.

They can be just as much PITA as UPS. One of my beer packages made it out for delivery and was brought back because it was "damaged". The receiver, member here, picked it up, and they apparently said something to the effect that they will destroy any packages with beer in them. UPS vs FEDEX vs USPS doesn't really matter ... it's all in the attitude of your delivery person, so make friends with them. I give mine fruits and veggies from the garden...haven't offered beer yet.

For those who've seen my packing job, I didn't start that way. Get this...shipment sent to Michigan with usual bubble wrap. One bottle broke. They took all the other bottles (about 10 bombers) put into a plastic bag, no nada zero padding, put into a box to ship back. THAT box made it back to Austin unscathed! Anyway after that I started vacuum packing and got a lesson of packing from the postal annex dude.

Back