Fortifying Juice Wines ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wuyi_wulf

Reaction score
My end goal is get a good dessert applewine and maybe a good port like grape wine so planning on champagne yeast an adding in brandy after secondary but how much brandy would I need to add to each gallon of wine? or does it depend on the APV after secondary ?

Yes, the final ABV of the wine would matter if you're trying to target a final ABV of 18-20% like port. There are various calculators out there that can do it like this one: http://www.musther.net/vinocalc.html#fortification

You would also need to re-sweeten it because champagne yeast will eat up all the sugar and you'll be left with a very dry fortified wine. The extra volume from the sugar should also be considered in your calculation. (It would probably be easiest to calculate this after making a simple syrup.) I don't think you'll have any problem with the yeast trying to restart fermentation at 20% ABV, but I could be wrong.

Back