Forgotten wine need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Straydogs

Reaction score
I found a gallon of Strawberry wine and a gallon of Mead that is just shy of two years old. I removed the airlocks and placed the threaded caps on them during a move and lost track of them. Today I found both of them, they both have a bit of sediment on the bottom, but seem to be clear and free of anything floating on top.

Are they safe????????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found a gallon of Strawberry wine and a gallon of Mead that is just shy of two years old. I removed the airlocks and placed the threaded caps on them during a move and lost track of them. Today I found both of them, they both have a bit of sediment on the bottom, but seem to be clear and free of anything floating on top.

Are they safe????????

Straydogs said:
I found a gallon of Strawberry wine and a gallon of Mead that is just shy of two years old. I removed the airlocks and placed the threaded caps on them during a move and lost track of them. Today I found both of them, they both have a bit of sediment on the bottom, but seem to be clear and free of anything floating on top. Are they safe????????

Absolutely! Rack off the sediment and drink up!

the strawberry might have peaked already, but meade should be good for damn near ever!

Are they safe????????

You're kidding right. :confused: No, they are not safe. You should immediately send them to me for proper disposal.

Think for a moment about all those bottles you see in wine cellars with many years of dust on them and then reconsider your question.

You're kidding right. :confused: No, they are not safe. You should immediately send them to me for proper disposal.

Think for a moment about all those bottles you see in wine cellars with many years of dust on them and then reconsider your question.

My concern was with the twist on caps that I used to transport them, I was not sure they were a long term seal.

Straydogs said:
My concern was with the twist on caps that I used to transport them, I was not sure they were a long term seal.

They may have oxidized a bit, but otherwise safe.

These kinds of threads keep popping up, is my wine safe to drink? Why on earth would you ask people on the internet if something is safe to drink and beleive them? Would you walk down the street and ask people if it was ok to drink? You can beleive me though, your wine and mead benefited from your neglect by bulk aging. As long as there are no off tastes from the yeasts and the caps have done their job and blocked oxygen and its not brown you should be good. If your wines were oxidized you would have answered your own question, but they seem nice and clear and not brown so your cap did its job. Enjoy, probably safe:) WVMJ

Back