Forgotten brews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saunassa

One Life Brewing #lifeistooshortforcrappybeer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Mid December when I was off work I mixed up a batch of mead and also brewed a buffalo sweat stout clone. After fermentation I placed them in a 60 degree closet beginning of January and when things got crazy busy I forgot about them. When I went to get a box out of the closet yesterday I was like, oh crap!
Has anyone else done this?

Beer can sit on store shelves way longer than that, and a stout is one of the styles that will better hold up to it. As for mead, I still have bottles that I bottled back in August 2020 that have never seen a fridge and they taste great!

I am more curious to see how sitting on the yeast cake all this time will affect it.
My bad. When I read after fermentation I thought you had meant you had packaged them. A month and a half of bottle conditioning is nothing. Even without packaging I suspect only two months on trub will “probably” not lead to any off flavor. Make sure to report back and let us know!

Mid last year, thinking I was pulling out a box of empty bottles, I found 6 bombers of peach mead I made in 2017. They're going to be around a while.

Guessing for a couple months it won't be an issue, as long as oxygen didn't get it - or minimal.
It you had forgotten about it for 6 months or more, there might be some issue.
This is mostly the stout I'm talking about.
The couple times I made mead it took at least this long to get done anyway.

Well got the oatmeal stout bottled. When done I drank the hydrometer sample. My oh my, it might be my best stout to date. I think the recipe and Imperial house yeast it was a good match. No off flavors that I could tell. Now the hardest part, waiting 2 weeks to try the first bottle.

Back