Forgot to take SG please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ish

Reaction score
Would someone be able to give me an idea of the alcohol content if they saw the recipe?

I know this might not be possible but just thought I'd ask

GOLDEN PROMISE PALE MALT 3kg
CRYSTAL MALT 210 gms
CHOCOLATE MALT 210 gms
900g heather honey
Target hops 4gms
Northern Hops 8gms
WYEAST 1728.

Steep the malt grains in 10 litres of water at 65C, cover and leave for 30 to 40 minutes. Strain the grains from the "wort", as the liquor is called, remembering to throw away the used grains and not the wort (a terrible novice mistake!). Add 5 litres of hot water to the wort and bring to the boil. Add hops and boil for one hour. After one hour add the honey and boil for another 30 minutes, then leave to rest for further 30 minutes.
Drape a large muslin cloth over a large sieve and strain your brew into a 25 litre plastic fermenting bin. Top up to 25 litres by pouring some cold water through the muslin and its aromatic contents. Cover and leave to cool to room temperature. Swish with a spoon or whisk to aerate the wort until there is a bit of a froth on the top. Allow to settle then add the yeast according to the instructions on the packet. Cover.
:tank:

Also as I don't want to loose too much volume when should I test it too see if it's ready for bottling?

I threw this recipe into my tool using a BIAB type profile, and got a calculation of ABV potential to be roughly 5% (or so). This is simply a ballpark based on the recipe provided and some estimates on your efficiency and loss, so you may be outside that range, but it at least gives you a general number.

As for when to test to make sure it is done, I would simply watch the airlock for bubbles. When you don't see anymore bubbles for a few days, fermentation should be complete and you could take a reading. Generally speaking for this style beer and yeast I would think it will be done fermenting after about 2 weeks.

make a checklist and use it while brewing, helps to not forget things
getting a gravity reading is important

Cheers guys, it was my first batch and seems like I buggered up the mash so gona be lighter than I was aiming for but sod it, still gona enjoy it :D
Are there any changes you would make to the recipe to make it well, better, I'm aiming for a mead dark ale

Back