Forgot to sterilize scissors to open yeast packet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob1947

Reaction score
First time making beer for me and had two problems,one is I boiled the wort outside in my burner I use for the Turkey fryer and that worked great but when I submerged the brand new wart chiller into the wort and turned on the water the tubing came off the copper end and I got about a cup of water from the hose in the wort. I returned it to the burner and boiled it for 5 more minutes and then cooled it after tightening up the clamps. I think I am good with that but what concerns me the most is that I cut open the yeast pack with a pair of scissors that were in my junk draw and did not realize what I had done until an hour later. So I am hoping that I did not contaminate the wort by not sterilizing the scissors. Ant thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Thanks

I wouldn't worry one bit about either of those. I won't even call them mistakes. Unless you're doing very small batches, 1 cup of water won't make any difference. Personally, i wouldn't even bother boiling more if that happened to me (which it nearly did today).

I don't use sanitizer on scissors to cut open dry yeast packets, only liquid. Even then, i consider it somewhat goofy, but an easy precaution. Honestly, if this batch ends up infected, I'd bet that it wasn't the scissors that did it.

RDWHAHB (in a few weeks ;) )

Congrats on your first brew. IMO, potential problems from the water would depend on the water quality. I like the idea of giving it some extra boil time in this case to make sure. Even if it's a good water source, the hose/tubing might be questionable. As far as the scissors, I like to sanitize mine, but just as an extra precaution. Infections are largely a matter of luck. You can get away with shortcuts many times, but it might catch up with you after a while.

First time and that's all that happened, I'd say you learned two thing to do differently on your next batch, no problems. Relax and enjoy waiting for your beer to finish!

I wouldn't worry one bit about either of those. I won't even call them mistakes. Unless you're doing very small batches, 1 cup of water won't make any difference. Personally, i wouldn't even bother boiling more if that happened to me (which it nearly did today).

I don't use sanitizer on scissors to cut open dry yeast packets, only liquid. Even then, i consider it somewhat goofy, but an easy precaution. Honestly, if this batch ends up infected, I'd bet that it wasn't the scissors that did it.

RDWHAHB (in a few weeks ;) )

This ^^

I have never one time sanitized my scissors with dry or liquid yeast that's super extreme. Unless you just happened to use the sissors on some type of raw meat that might be an issue LOL but seriously your good.

Also, I don't think anyone can say they have never had a wort chiller issue and got some water in their wort. Super normal learning curve and again with what he said..I just rolled with it fixed the issue and kept cooling the beer tasted great. :tank:

Dry yeast? I used this to open a pack of dry yeast last night. Just took it out of my pocket and cut the top off. I do it all the time. No infection problems. No worries. You're fine.

IMAG0539.jpg

When you make a hopped extract kit the instructions say to mix the extract with boiling water then top up the fermenter to 23 litres / 6 gallons with tap water. This definitely isn't best practice (since there can be germs in the tap water) but people make beer this way all the time without getting infections.

Getting water from the chiller into the wort is something you want to avoid but I think you would be very unlucky to get an infected batch from it.

Dry yeast? I used this to open a pack of dry yeast last night. Just took it out of my pocket and cut the top off. I do it all the time. No infection problems. No worries. You're fine.

New blades are not expensive, would you shave with that thing?

OP, you're fine;)

I'll say this: I have NEVER sanitized my scissors. ...and I've never had an infection. You'll probably be OK. But we should sanitize our scissors.

I sanitize my scissors, but then I also run with scissors too, but that's just how I role.

You will be fine. I've done worst and the beer turned out great. Remember, it's only a problem if it actually happens, which it usually doesn't, but once it does...it happens two more times regardless how careful you are, so don't worry!

Well all of you made Me feel much much better. I was really mde at myself for dropping the ball on the scissor sterilization part but for a newbie I have learned my lesson and hopefully won't do it again. Well its a bubbling away and can not wait until it is done. The wort id not taste good at all but I have read from other post that that is common. So Thanks to all of you and I will post later on how my brew came out.

I wouldn't say that the wort should taste good, but if it tastes bad, something that you would spit out, there is a problem. It should taste like a sweet watery syrup. Not something you would want to drink a pint of, but not something that is terrible.

The flavor of the wort/beer will change a lot throughout the process.

Good luck.

I've never sanitized scissors a single time before and the only time I've ever had an infection, I knew exactly where the infection came from (hint: not the scissors).

New blades are not expensive, would you shave with that thing?

OP, you're fine;)
You shave with a box knife?

Well all of you made Me feel much much better. I was really mde at myself for dropping the ball on the scissor sterilization part but for a newbie I have learned my lesson and hopefully won't do it again. Well its a bubbling away and can not wait until it is done. The wort id not taste good at all but I have read from other post that that is common. So Thanks to all of you and I will post later on how my brew came out.
I gotta say it, man...

Sanitized, not sterilized. ;)

Unless you have an autoclave, you can't sterilize your equipment. Sanitized is good enough for brewing purposes.

I never sanitize my cutting tool, but I only notch the edge of my yeast, then I tear it open.

Thanks for correcting me Fedora,Sanitize is what I meant. Sometimes my fingers are quicker than my brain.

When you make a "mistake" like this just go read the confessions forum and you will see how forgiving the brewing process really can be. "oops I didn't sanitize anything from the last time I brewed two months ago".

Back