Forgot to rinse PBW

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoffrey006

Reaction score
Hey !

I just finish a brew day, and I just want to know if I have to throw my 20L batch away :(
At the end of the boiling stage, I added some hops, and use my Stirring Paddle to mix that in the mash.
The problem is that this Stirring Paddle was resting in a PBW solution and I didn't rinse it before putting it in the mash.
I tought at first that this should not be a big problem as there was very few PBW on it when I plunged it in the mash. But tasting before fermentation, there was a really bitter/soapy taste.
However I'm not sure if this is due to the hop (first time I use that much hop (citra/centennial)), or if it's really a bitter taste due to the PBW.
What do you think ? Should I throw away ? Wait few days of fermentation and taste again to see the evolution ?

Thank you

I wouldn't think the 5-6 ml of PBW would be of any significance in 20L

I agree. If it's just whatever was on the paddle without rinsing, I say let it finish then see, by then you probably won't notice. Fresh wort after the boil always tastes harsh before it ferments, so don't worry about that.

Back