Forgot to Rehydrate Lager Yeast - Am I Buggered?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyWarrior

Reaction score
Poured the wort into the carboy...topped up with water and...in a moment of lapsed judgement, just sprinkled the dry yeast into the carboy without re-hydrating.

Will it still take? Can I do anything to rectify it?

Right now it's just kind of clumped on the top, but seems to be dissolving.

Thanks,
HW.

Cover your carboy and shake vigorously. Do you have any more yeast packets? What's your Og and what FG are you shooting for?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You may have pitched 50% less viable yeast cells than anticipated by not rehydrating. Do you have another pack of yeast to rehydrate and pitch?

I don't, but I can get one tomorrow morning. Should I just buy the same yeast, re-hydrate and then pitch as normal?

Don't worry.. I've heard people saying they have never rehydrated and always used one packet.. But last night I made a cream ale and I rehydrate my yeast and accidentally poured half of it on the floor and only half in the Carboy:. And this morning it was booming with great fermentation.. So I reckon half of rehydrate yeast would equal MAYBE to half a dry packet?:) hey if it doesn't take in two days then just go buy another pack..

Depending on the size of your batch and the OG, you might be OK. Check mrmalty.com and see how much yeast you needed for the batch.

i never rehydrate my dry yeast and always works fine, however if you only pitched one packet into a lager you under-pitched (assuming 5gallons)

This is a 23L (9 gal) carboy.

I assume I will need one more packet? Can it harm?

Wow.. 9?? I would defently get a couple more packs

This is a 23L (9 gal) carboy.

I assume I will need one more packet? Can it harm?

Total volume of the wort is not the deciding factor of how much yeast needs to be pitched. Volume in the fermentor plus OG are the considerations for the amount of yeast to pitch.

Latest posts

Back