Forgot to bleed air out of keg...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sideshow_ben

Reaction score
I was so excited to have my 4-year-old help me load up a keg (he's my "A-number-one helper" as he puts it) that I forgot to bleed out the air once I hooked up my gas, and shook the heck out of the keg to force carb the beer. 3 days later I bled out the head-space but I fear the "damage" has been done. I had about 2-3 in of space in the keg. I'm curious how serious this gaffe can be to the life of the beer, and what tastes I should be looking for as a result? (FYI, my corny kegs usually go a few months, i.e. I don't drain them within a few weeks like I'm sure all the rest of you do. ;-)

You mean as in over carbonated? Just take it off co2 and bleed the air off for a couple days, recarb (correctly), drink!

My guess is that the head space is sufficiently small that you'll be safe, but a quick google of oxidation gives "Carboardy, papery flavor or aroma that is not acceptable in any beer style. Sherry-like is another way to describe an acceptable characteristic in many Barleywines, Old Ales, or Scotch Ales."

Crap. I forgot to bleed the air from the beer I kegged last night and this thread just reminded me. Its sitting at 30psi. I'm going to head home for lunch and bleed it. Hopefully the head space is small enough it doesn't matter.

Bump. Because I just did the same thing. Started the force carb merged without first bleeding the O2 out. Am I screwed? Drink this beer fast? Or fine, and the o2 will rise out of the beer under pressure? Any help is appreciated.

I just bled out the headspace and had little problem. But I also drain the kegs within a month so I'm not sure if longer storage would have had an effect.

Latest posts

Back