Forgot the finings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phalex

Reaction score
I neglected to put the Irish moss in my brew kettle. I have yet to add honey to my primary. Can I boil the Irish moss in the water I'm going to dissolve the honey in and call it good, or should I just forgo the moss altogether? :mug:

If it's in the primary it's pointless at that point. The principal is to settle the break material in the kettle so it can be left behind when transferring to the fermenter.

From what I understand of how Irish moss works, it needs to be boiled with the wort in order to be fully effective. If you want to try using gelatin to clear your beer you could do that after fermentation finishes up. Otherwise you could just let it slide and it won't have a negative effect on the taste, it just might not be as clear as it would be with the Irish moss. I've never used Irish moss myself, and as long as let my beers sit long enough before bottling and refrigerate them long enough before drinking they are pretty clear.

Thanks guys! I'll leave it out this time around. Everything went really smoothly on brewing day. My wife said it was faster than usual. After I got my bucket settled in the basement I was like DOH!!

Thanks for the speedy replies!

Yeah, that's the way to go. I use Irish Moss when I have it but honestly, I can seldom remember by the time it's in the bottle (unless I check) whether I used it on a given batch or not. It's tough to tell by appearance.

Latest posts

Back