forgot inner cap on airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREMMELS

Reaction score
This last weekend I did my first brew by myself. not only that I decided it was smart to do 2 in the same day. Needless to say it was a very long day of brewing and in the process I made a huge mistake. After pitching the yeast on both batches and putting the airlock on I realized about 5 days into fermentation that I had forgot to put on the inner plastic cap. I'm not talking about the lid that snaps on the very top of the airlock and has small little holes to keep large debris from falling in. I'm talking about the other plastic top piece that sits on the inside and creates the bridge between the air from the inside of the keg and air from outside. That's right my beer has been fermenting with air moving in and out at will.

I asked some people at the local homebrew store and one said that during fermentation most of the air movement is co2 escaping and that air entering through the small hole would by minimal and may not have effected it much. This was not said with any kind of certainty. Another didn't seem to worried and said that unless I see fruit flies inside then it should still be fine. I don't know though I think they were just trying not to make me feel too bad.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Well, what's done is done at this point. I'd crack it open and take a hydrometer reading and then close it back up with a properly assembled airlock to finish fermenting. I doubt you have anything too virulent floating around your house and the respiration from the yeast would have created a pretty steady outflow of CO2. I would expect it to finish just fine.

Have you seen the pictures of open fermentation? They put the wort into big vats with no top at all! You have nothing to worry about.

For the first five days I would expect air to be moving out of the fermenter. You should be fine.

Have you seen the pictures of open fermentation? They put the wort into big vats with no top at all! You have nothing to worry about.

Yeah watch the video of the sierra nevada bigfoot fermentation. It should put you mind at ease plus it's a really cool video.

That was a cool video! Thanks for posting. I got 1 of them cold crashing in secondary with gelatin right now. should soon figure out if its any good.

Back