Forgot Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scruffy1207

Reaction score
I forgot to take the OG for my Orange wit. How could i figure this out? I figure since it's an extract recipe I should be able to come up with an estimate pretty easy. I used this site http://***********/resources/brewing and entered in my ingredients and it pumped out 1.03 with a FG estimate of 1.007. I haven't taken an FG reading yet because I only just pitched the yeast yesterday. I was wondering if that was an accurate reading.

6 lbs Wheat DME
1 oz Hallertaur (60 min)
1 oz Crushed Corriander (10 min)
.5 oz Dried Orange Bitter (10 min)
.5 oz Dried Orange (10 min)
.5 oz Dried Lemon Peel (10 min)
WPL400

I mean, its not going to change my beer, but I would like to have an estimate of the ABV.

Generally I don't like to screw with my fermenter after it is underway. If the yeast are still in the early phase, you could get an idea of how close your estimate calculation is. For example, if the computer spits out 1.030 and todays sample is 1.034 then you have a ballpark idea of the OG.
Overall, it happens -- you miss taking an OG sample and don't know the exact ABV. Not the end of the world. The beer is still enjoyable and there are a million brew days in your future to try it again. A checklist has saved the day on several occasions.

Scruffy1207 said:
I forgot to take the OG for my Orange wit. How could i figure this out?

6 lbs Wheat DME

I mean, its not going to change my beer, but I would like to have an estimate of the ABV.

Some where out there is a points per pound of frementables. I googled once but can't get it now. Any way there are about 40points per lb DME per gallon of wort, so you should have about 240 or a og of 1.048. For what that's worth.

@bend 5 Gallons
@turtle Interesting. I'll take FG readings and if they are in accordance with with the numbers than it should be right. Otherwise everything is out the window!

Being an extract brew you should easily be able to calculate your OG to within a couple of points.

I don't know where you got the 1.030 number from but that doesn't look right to me. Given a 5 gallon batch, your OG is more like 1.040 with that amount of DME.

Nothing is out the window. Pretty hard not to hit target OG numbers when mixing sugar and water. If you measured everything properly, didn't spill a bunch and ended up with 5 gallons in the fermenter, than the calculator I am using is telling me that your OG is 1.041.

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/recipe.html

I forgot to take the OG for my Orange wit. How could i figure this out? I figure since it's an extract recipe I should be able to come up with an estimate pretty easy. I used this site http://***********/resources/brewing and entered in my ingredients and it pumped out 1.03 with a FG estimate of 1.007. I haven't taken an FG reading yet because I only just pitched the yeast yesterday. I was wondering if that was an accurate reading.

6 lbs Wheat DME
1 oz Hallertaur (60 min)
1 oz Crushed Corriander (10 min)
.5 oz Dried Orange Bitter (10 min)
.5 oz Dried Orange (10 min)
.5 oz Dried Lemon Peel (10 min)
WPL400

orange wit
================================================================================
Batch Size: 5.001 gal
Boil Size: 6.200 gal
Boil Time: 0.000 s
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.051
FG: 1.012
ABV: 5.1%
Bitterness: 0.0 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 7 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Wheat Dry Extract Dry Extract 6.000 lb No No 95%% 8 L
Total grain: 6.000 lb

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
WLP400 - Belgian Wit Ale Yeast Wheat Liquid 2.367 tbsp Primary

BendBrewer said:
Being an extract brew you should easily be able to calculate your OG to within a couple of points.

I don't know where you got the 1.030 number from but that doesn't look right to me. Given a 5 gallon batch, your OG is more like 1.040 with that amount of DME.

Yea, that sounds better. I was thinking 1.03 was low. Thanks everyone, I'll ball park it

Back