Forever a NEWB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b33risGOOD

Reaction score
Funny thing happened today,
while brewing some discount extract (no boil coopers dark Ale) that I couldnt resist buying at half price, so what if its a little expired :) Everything could not have gone smoother, it's a kit after all. Untill...

I have everything in my primary bucket and need to add a little cold britta filtered water to bring down the temp a touch, what as im pouring doesnt the filter itself fall into my wort....F#$*!!!!

So I make the quick decision to plung my arm in and get it out asap lol. After reading so many stories about stupid things like this I just had to post. Im not even upset because it will probably be fine anyways.

I hear of people dowsing their arm with mixed down StarSan when they need to attempt a maneuver like that. But yeah sounds like something I would do, and I am DEFINITELY a newbie. :)

Hope it turns out ok

I pitched double the amount of healthy active yeast so that will probably wipe anthing out. Why worry crack a brew.

Lol. NOOOOOOOB!;)

Kidding.

When siphoning to my new kegs last week, my siphon got stuck with hop residue, so I found myself dumping my stout into the purged keg, using my hand (dipped into NO RINSE) as a filter...........

Yeah the keg was purged, but man, what a noob thing to do!, lol.

For future reference, if noone else was in the room, and you don't tell everyone on the internet, it never happened. :mug:

I also let my wort chill outside where its quite cold now (Canada) during a windy day with possible debris :)

Oh well this is for my house guests.

It depends on how much less than 32 degrees it really is. This morning I filled a laundry tub with snow, opened the faucet to fill it with water and left it on my deck while I started my brew. By the time I was starting the boil, there was half an inch of ice on the tub. I broke it up and by the time the boil was over there was another half inch of ice. I put the brew kettle in and kept moving it around so the water/ice circulated and in a few minutes the brew was cooled to 80 degrees and I still had plenty of ice in the tub.

The temperature was 3 degrees F. and the wind chill was about -10.

Back