force carbonation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I just kegged my first batch. I had the batch cool down quite a bit then transferred to the keg, then I put about 20 psi into the keg and let held the pressure release open on the top to bleed out the excess oxygen on top. I'd like to force carbonate so that it will be ready to drink in a few days... do I have to keep the regulator and CO2 attached to the keg the whole time, or can I disconnect the pressurized keg and keep it in a cold place by itself for a few days? Thanks

If you want it ready to drink in a few days, you're going to have to burst carb it. Once you've purged it 3-4 times, dial in 30psi, keep the beer cold (38-40*F) and keep it there 24 hours. Shut off gas to the keg (or disconnect the coupling), bleed off the pressure from the keg, set it to 20psi, reconnect gas back on for another 12-15 hours. Shut off and bleed again, set to serving pressure (usually 10-12psi) and reconnect.

To carb, even the low (11-12psi) and slow (12-14 days) method, your CO2 tank must be attached to the keg entire time.

How long is your beer line?

If you want it ready to drink in a few days, you're going to have to burst carb it. Once you've purged it 3-4 times, dial in 30psi, keep the beer cold (38-40*F) and keep it there 24 hours. Shut off gas to the keg (or disconnect the coupling), bleed off the pressure from the keg, set it to 20psi, reconnect gas back on for another 12-15 hours. Shut off and bleed again, set to serving pressure (usually 10-12psi) and reconnect.

To carb, even the low (11-12psi) and slow (12-14 days) method, your CO2 tank must be attached to the keg entire time.

How long is your beer line?

So are you saying I should leave the co2 and regulator connected the whole time, ie during the 30psi 24 hours and 20psi for 15 hours?

My beer line right now is just a picnic faucet a few feet. Thanks

So are you saying I should leave the co2 and regulator connected the whole time, ie during the 30psi 24 hours and 20psi for 15 hours?

My beer line right now is just a picnic faucet a few feet. Thanks

Yes. To carbonate and serve, you have to leave the c02 connected.

You need more beer line to serve without explosive foaming, though. "A few feet" will probably cause a lot of headaches.

It really is temperature dependent.

If I'm in a huge hurry, I'll put the keg in my kegerator at 30 psi for 36 hours, then purge and reset for 12 psi. In three days, it's pretty well carbed but gets better for the next few days.

If I'm not in a hurry, I just set it at 12 psi and wait a week to 10 days.

That's at fridge temperatures (40 degrees).

The beer is cloudy because it's only been sitting a couple of days, and the yeast and other debris in the beer is starting to fall to the bottom. Since the diptube pulls the beer from the bottom, the first glass is cloudy and with debris in it. But if you don't move the keg at all and let it sit a couple more days at a cold temperature, you can pull off 3 ounces out of the faucet and discard it and the rest of the beer should be fine.

If the beer is cold, 36 hours at 30 psi will carb it up. If the beer is warm, it won't.

Works like a charm in 2-3 days..

Probably a good idea to go with 10 ft. lines to begin with.

"A few feet" will probably cause a lot of headaches.

Quite a lot of foamy, foamy headaches.:drunk:

Suggest you get 12ft of 3/16" beer line (do not get 1/4"). You can always trim back a foot or two if the pour is too slow for your liking.

Yes. To carbonate and serve, you have to leave the c02 connected.

You need more beer line to serve without explosive foaming, though. "A few feet" will probably cause a lot of headaches.

OK I just measured it, its 5'2" of 3/16".....is that going to be pretty bad? I just ordered it and it came that length from the online beer supply place...surprised they would package it with 5' if its not enough. This is only a 5 gallon corny keg, if that makes a difference. I'll go ahead and order like 15 foot line if it just pours foam after I try it in a few days...thanks for the all the info.

OK I just measured it, its 5'2" of 3/16".....is that going to be pretty bad? I just ordered it and it came that length from the online beer supply place...surprised they would package it with 5' if its not enough. This is only a 5 gallon corny keg, if that makes a difference. I'll go ahead and order like 15 foot line if it just pours foam after I try it in a few days...thanks for the all the info.

You're not alone. Lots of us got 5 ft lines with our initial hardware setups. That is, however, better than the "few feet" I was afraid you had. Not ideal, but it will do until you can get a longer one. Try to keep the temp around 38 and the pressure at 10psi when serving with the 5ft line. It also helps if you use the tap full on or off. Opening part way to try and avoid foam creates much more.

I was very pleased with the result when I changed those five footers out for 12ft lines. It's more consistent and controllable.

Back