force carbing success!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowman

Reaction score
After reading lots of posts on fast-tracking the brewskies I decided to cut short the waiting period on a batch of wheat beer which had been in a secondary for a while. Wiith temps down in the low 30's here overnight I cold crashed out on the deck and loaded up a keg.

I charged up the keg to 30 lbs, removed the gas, shook (rolled) the keg for a minute or two and observed the pressure drop to just under 20lbs. Recharged to 30 lbs and repeated the process several times then kept it around 30 psi in the garage... temps stayed between 34 and 42 degrees since then, and this morning it is totally ready to serve, 4 weeks from boil date. Just in time as my keg of irish red feel like it is down to it's last pitcher ....

I have another batch of wheat that is on 8th day in primary, am planning to go straight to keg on day 14.

I am using 6lbs lme, and a lb of L40. The first batch I also had 1 lb of honey but not the second batch...

I tell ya I did a fast carb on a batch of Nut Brown. 30 psi for 36 hrs and then 4 days @ 12psi. And I thought it was great and fully carbed. I did another batch and did the set and forget 12psi for 3 weeks and I gotta say it was a completely different beast, much better head retention and mouthfeel and overall better carbonation.

Same recipe and both were in primary for 4 weeks. But a different beer depending on which way I carbed them.

From now on I try to plan so that I can carb the set and forget method for all my brews.

You could be selling your beer short by rushing it ;)

I tell ya I did a fast carb on a batch of Nut Brown. 30 psi for 36 hrs and then 4 days @ 12psi. And I thought it was great and fully carbed. I did another batch and did the set and forget 12psi for 3 weeks and I gotta say it was a completely different beast, much better head retention and mouthfeel and overall better carbonation.

Same recipe and both were in primary for 4 weeks. But a different beer depending on which way I carbed them.

From now on I try to plan so that I can carb the set and forget method for all my brews.

You could be selling your beer short by rushing it ;)

So simple, yet so ignored.

Turbo-carbed = bubbly green beer :tank:

It has a place. Everyone loves to rush that first keg of homebrew! I did it :drunk:

Now that you have a keg to drink, get to brewing! It's not nearly as bad to set-and-forget when you already have homebrew on tap!

It's all about keeping the pipeline full :ban:

I could care less if it is green, blue or rainbow, it tastes great and is not bubbly or foamy, just right... although I did have my worries because of reading many negative posts, glad I took the chance. I do believe that given more time and conditioning there will be a 'better' product. I have 5 various batches in the fermenting queue and should be able to stretch out the conditioning time if we can stop slamming the pitchers for a while.

I could care less if it is green, blue or rainbow, it tastes great and is not bubbly or foamy, just right... although I did have my worries because of reading many negative posts, glad I took the chance. I do believe that given more time and conditioning there will be a 'better' product. I have 5 various batches in the fermenting queue and should be able to stretch out the conditioning time if we can stop slamming the pitchers for a while.

Sounds like you have it under control ;)

Like i said - It's got its place!

Back