Force carbing keg...on the right path?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocksideBrew

Reaction score
Kegged a Belgian White Grand Cru last night. Filled keg hit it with 30 psi and purged 3 times. After 24hrs @ 30 psi shut co2 off n purged and adjusted regulator to 11psi. Purged one more time. No shaking of the keg going on. Going to let it sit like this for a week before I take the first pull. Hopefully I can resist the urge! How am I doing?

Kegged a Belgian White Grand Cru last night. Filled keg hit it with 30 psi and purged 3 times. After 24hrs @ 30 psi shut co2 off n purged and adjusted regulator to 11psi. Purged one more time. No shaking of the keg going on. Going to let it sit like this for a week before I take the first pull. Hopefully I can resist the urge! How am I doing?

Sounds like you are on the right track..I often carb my kegs in two days using a method similar to what you are describing, however I don't purge as much as you do.. I add gelatin at racking, chill in the fridge undisturbed for 24-48 hours, then crank up the CO2 to 35 lbs, purge, let it refill, purge again, refill, MAYBE one more purge and then that's it.. I will come back in two days, turn the CO2 down to 12, and then purge only enough to get the pressure correct..

You are going to love kegging!

I just kegged my second a few weeks ago and, after reading on here, I have a similar method. Keg, fill with 30 psi, let it set for a few days (2 max), back it down to 10-12, which I serve at, and drink at will. Gets way better after a week at serving psi. Kyle

Also fridge is around 36 degrees with 4' of serving line. For see any issues?

That's a pretty short serving line. I'd go with 8-10' for better pours.

You don't need to purge so much, only when you lower the psi from 30 to 11 psi for example. You can do it when you fill the keg, to help push out any o2 in the headspace of the keg, but remember when you purge that you're just taking out the co2 that you just put in!

Try one tonight. Pour only about 3 ounces, as it'll be yeast sludge. Then dump that out and pour a small glass- for quality assurance purposes of course!

When serving from such a long line does the brew still have a head? I have been reading many post advising this and mentioned to LHBS and they said not necessary. What is the reasoning /advantages? First time kegger here. Thanks!

When serving from such a long line does the brew still have a head? I have been reading many post advising this and mentioned to LHBS and they said not necessary. What is the reasoning /advantages? First time kegger here. Thanks!

Head should not be an issue for a beer line that size, which I hear is pretty typical.. I have a 4 keg set-up and my beer lines are 5 feet and I had some foam problems.. Then I tried this:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/cure-your-short-hose-troubles-100151/

and now I have one in each of my kep diptubes and it works like a charm.. Perfect poor... Granted, it's just as cheap to get longer beer lines, but I felt like this was easier and worked, so why mess with it.

Back