Force carb from beer outlet ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldies

Reaction score
Hey fellas, had a quick question for the kegging veterans. Im about to keg my hefe after I finish my chest freezer conversion and wanted to run something by you guys. I spoke to a fellow home brewer and he mentioned that he force carbs his 5 gallon corny's by hooking up the gas at 12-14 PSI to the beer outlet which in theory will make the co2 go through the beer and leaves it about a day and a half while purging it periodically with no shaking and it's ready to drink after switching the lines of course. I have heard that doing this could cause beer to go into your gas line and ruin your reg. I dont see how this could happen though since the gas would be putting constant pressure in the line and there would be no shaking of the keg?

Thoughts?

you may get beer pushed back up into the gas line this way. if you must carb it fast,hook it to the gas in,blast it and shake it. the bubbles will be to big to do anything but float to the top. just seems like a bad ideal,but I have never tried it. some do.

you may get beer pushed back up into the gas line this way.QUOTE]

This is what I am afraid of. But im trying to still understand how this could happen if there is constant pressure in the line and im not shaking the keg. I will probably just do it the more conventional way by just hooking it up at 30 PSI (after the beer is chilled) for a day or two and bringing the PSI down to 10-12 after purging/venting.

Be warned that the posts for in and out are slightly different sized. You can get the gas line stuck on the liquid pretty easily (or is it the other way around, all I know is that I've got a post and a QD that are near permanently married)...

Be warned that the posts for in and out are slightly different sized. You can get the gas line stuck on the liquid pretty easily (or is it the other way around, all I know is that I've got a post and a QD that are near permanently married)...

Well you can easily have a dedicated out post for only carbing with this method with a 5/16 nipple on the end as opposed to the 3/16. But I hear ya.

It will speed the normal carbonation at equilibrium pressures but I highly doubt it's going to happen in a day or two. Set and forget normally takes about 2 weeks by relying on the circular surface area of the beer to headspace and pushing huge bubbles of CO2 up through the beer isn't going to shave 12 days off. This could be helped with a diffusion stone, but it's a pain in the ass.

It will speed the normal carbonation at equilibrium pressures but I highly doubt it's going to happen in a day or two. Set and forget normally takes about 2 weeks by relying on the circular surface area of the beer to headspace and pushing huge bubbles of CO2 up through the beer isn't going to shave 12 days off. This could be helped with a diffusion stone, but it's a pain in the ass.

Thank you. It does not look like im going to use the gas in the out port method, just seems like there is to much that could go wrong to do it. Thanks for your thoughts guys.

Im gonna keg my cold hef this weekend for 1-2 days on 30 PSI and then drop it down to 10-12 PSI after it has been purged. No shaking for me. As it seems after reading multiple carbing post there are probably a million ways to do it right but I just have to find what works for me.

Back