Forbidden Fruit WY3463

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredTheNuke

Reaction score
What odd yeast. Anyone else use it before? I put it into a 1.107 O.G. Grand Cru Van De Keizer (three 5.5 gallon batches) on 5/18/2014. yeast nutrients in the boil and 90 seconds of pure oxygen per batch. Let it cool to 63 F over the first night in one of my fermentation chest keezers. Monday evening I pitched a decanted 5 liter starter of WY3463 into each batch. I expected geysers so had full sized blow off tubes on and ready to go. I have been upping the temp 2 degrees a day up to a max of 73F. Now fast forward to today - Friday 5/23/2014. Very little activity (but some with that CO2 smell in the chest keezer to back it up) out of the tubes. So I opened them up to rouse the yeast with a wine degasser and hit it with another round of oxygen. Took a gravity of each of them - average was 1.050!!!! 57 points with no blow off. Odd. So I hit them with oxygen and closed them back up. Back to waiting!

I used Forbidden Fruit in a weizenbock. My fermentation experience was more normal, but I started at closer to 68 degF. It was amazing (before I ruined it, but that wasn't the yeast's fault).

Latest posts

Back