For Those Who Use Bottled Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devildancer

Reaction score
I was calibrating my sight gauge tonight and realized that most gallon jugs of bottled water are actually sold with more than a gallon in them. I know I used to just pour them into the carboy to top of partial boils assuming they were a gallon.

When I calibrated mine, I weighed out one gallon, marked the jug and used that mark for subsequent gallons.

No kiddin. Glad to know this. I always hoped it was close enough to either 1 or 2.5 gallons, depending. Thanks for the info! Kyle

It sounds like you are saying a gallon weighs 128 oz instead of contains 128 fl oz. On a larger scale (like gallons) you can't interchange weight and volume measurements with water. 8 fl oz of water weighs about 8.35 oz. Multiple that by the 16 cup to a gallon and you end up with a weight of about 134 oz, for one gallon (128 fl oz) of water.
Even I'd you do have a little too much water in your boil by assuming each bottle is exactly one gallon its effect is unnoticable.

I'm saying that I measured 128 fl oz into a gallon jug and it did not come to the same level as an unopened gallon jug of water. I weighed my 128 fl oz jug and it was right around 132 oz. I can live with that margin of error. One brand new one weighed 138 oz. The difference may be negligible, but when you scale it up it can make a difference. Thanks for your feedback.

at 70F, water weighs 8.328676 pounds per gallon.

at 59F, it's 8.337915 lb/g

therefore, at 70F, one gallon of water will weigh 133.258816 ounces

it's not very interesting, it's just the density of water.

fluid ounce is not the same avoirdupois ounce (mass measurement).

well if you want a source i just googled "density of water" and got this:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/water-density-specific-weight-d_595.html

also, "weight" will change (very slightly) depending upon your altitude, as the farther you get away from the center of the earth the lower the force (acceleration) of gravity

Back