For those who didn't believe it was possible!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazytwoknobs

Reaction score
It is! I'm pretty sure this is infected apfelwein.

infected2.jpg

infection.jpg

And I'm pretty sure I know the source! The last time I had apfelwein in a fermenter the fermentation was vigorous enough to push yeasty bubbles up into the airlock, which I figured wasn't much of an issue, as they retreated quickly. However, I didn't clean the airlock after it had had a bunch of yeast pushed up into it, and after a few months (it was a year and a few days fermentation) the airlock got totally nasty with some kind of fungus/bacteria. I cleaned that out and replaced it. (that batch is carbonating now)

This time 'round I was going to use the same stopper I had used in the batch that got a nasty airlock, but I pushed a wee bit too hard and it fell into the carboy. It was sanitized, but obviously not sanitized enough.

That, or I'm just a dirty dirty man.

Be forewarned! Be cleaner than me!!:drunk:

That reminds me.

Lets say I pushed too hard on the stopper, it's completely in the neck, how would I remove it (once fermentation is done)?

Once it is complete, I say use a hanger bent to hook onto the bottom, just work it slowly out.

Sorry to hear about the infection, guess it wasn't sanitized after all. Did you lose the whole batch or were you able to save any?

Lets say I pushed too hard on the stopper, it's completely in the neck, how would I remove it (once fermentation is done)?

Here is another method:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Od5p8WPTy8]YouTube - how to remove a cork from a wine bottle[/ame]

Neat, unfortunately the bottle contains a fermenting liquid. Useful though.

Back