for the girlfriend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kosmokramer

Reaction score
Well im new to brewing and loving it as i sit here and drink a nice porter from the draught. I have brewed 3 batches so far, one in the kegerator one in the primary and one in the secondary. I am trying to keep the girlfriend on board with the whole hobby so when she asked me to make something she would like i have to try.

She is not much of a beer drinker so i need something kinda light bt other than that i really dont know what to do. Any body have any ideas for extract kits that she may like or that maybe your own swmbo likes?

My wife hates beer. But one time in Toronto at the Bier Markt she had a raspberry martini which included beer. So, today I racked onto raspberries and will try to figure something out for her with Sourpuss raspberry or similar mixed with the beer.

B

beers that i have made, and women tend to like: raspberry wheat, belgian blonde, cocoa java stout, kolsch, cider

definitely kegging, makes life soo much easier

she did have a b luemoon the other day for the first time and liked that as well, what is the differance between a belgian blonde and a witbier?

Mine HATES BEER!! But loves chocolate stouts. I made her a cream stout that she will drink every now and then, also, what is kind of weird is the hoppyer the beer the more she likes it.

I agree with everyone here. My wife loves my american wheat and kolsch. I could also see american hef, blonde ale, and light american ale.

okay, just ordered the witbier and a pound of belgian blonde candi from midwest.... gonna experiment on this one

My wife generally doesn't like beer, but has been able to enjoy a few sips of a very light beer, or a very dark beer, but likes cider best of all. Or a good light sparkling wine.

If you can brew beer, you can easily make cider.

I'm in the same boat. My wife really only drinks Budlight, Corona and Dos Equis, aka the beer I try to stay away from and why I got into brewing. Anything wheaty, she hates(complete opposite of many girls), doesn't like hoppiness either. I am actually contemplating making an Apelfwien and see if she likes that, if not, another 5 gallons for me ;) and at least I tried

Have her keep trying brews that you are drinking. My wife also is not much for beer but will have an occasional Black Butte Porter with me, she also found she likes Full Sails LTD 02, and there are a few IPA's she has really liked.

She has liked a couple brews I have made and the one at the top of the list would have to be a Blueberry Wheat.

Mine HATES BEER!! But loves chocolate stouts. I made her a cream stout that she will drink every now and then, also, what is kind of weird is the hoppyer the beer the more she likes it.

Mine thinks beer is "okay" but doesn't drink it but once a month. I too have found that she really likes milk stouts. Even her friend who hates beer likes milk stouts. My wife loves Left Handed Brewery's Milk Stout so I have a chocolate milk stout going for her.

She also really liked the wheat beer I made her this summer. It was just a Coopers Wheat Beer Kit + AHS alcohol boost in it. Took like 2 hours to brew, crazy easy.

At my household, SWMBO does not like especially hoppy stuff. I have had some tremendous IPAs recently that she'll take a taste of and dislike. She leans more towards brown ales and just like you (trying to keep her on board with the hobby/obsession), I am brewing a Newcastle clone this weekend for her.
Some of the lighter Belgian stuff might not be a bad idea either.

My GF loves good craft beers. We've only been dating a few months now, but we just brewed our first beer together. It's a Bell's Two Hearted clone. Chose that one because it's one of her favorites.

My girlfriend used to hate beer. She started going to all these different breweries with me and I had her keep trying it and now she drinks most of the beers I drink. She's more toward the Belgian wits, coffee/chocolate stouts, lagers and things like that. I made a kolsch kit from northern brewer (extract) a while back and she liked that. Also made a wit similar to a blue moon and she really liked that.

okay,,, got my wit extract kit from midwest but after reading about the wlp 400(i think thats what it was) belgian wit yeast im not sure how she will like the phenolic taste characteristic of the yeast,,,, ive never tried it but ahould i go ahead and use that or i have a cal ale trub i can use,,,opinions please,,,trying to brew first thing in the am

The ONLY beer that my wife hasn't turned her nose up to and made an awful sound once trying it was a blonde made by a local mini-brewery. She said "it's still beer" but I could tell it had potential, I've yet to get the recipe out of them for it....

Back