For my safety

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agezzi

Reaction score
Im trying to figure out how to ground my 2000w element. It's going in unfortunately a aluminum 10g pot. I asked in another thread but to no reply. Please help don't want to just chance it. It will b thru the kettle. Attaching it close to the way it was in the Brutus 20. Thanks

i would like to keep it clean...no wires sticking out. could i solder it to the side of the heating element or maybe to the pot. dont really want to put a extra hole anywhere. will start on project tomorrow, i want to get this right and still look good. any thoughts

Personally I would not trust solder. I would drill and tap a hole in the base of the element for more of a mechanical connection. If you can't do that, maybe have someone weld a threaded lug to your kettle.

My RIMS element is grounded to the metal strap that holds it to my brew rig. Im in the process of making a EBK for my 2.5 gallon batches and im going to get a fender washer and drill a hole in it and attach it to that. so it would go element > lockwasher (with o-ring) > kettle > rubber washer the element comes with > washer that the ground goes to. Of course all of this will be enclosed as well with a piece of pvc.

Have you decided how you're attaching the element?

If you're mounting it like in Kal's build (theelectricbrewery.com) then the ground will be attached inside the metal box which makes contact with the kettle.

edit: just noticed you said you're mounting it like Brutus 20. I'm not familiar with how it's done in that build. Sorry.

Back