food grade aluminium tins for making cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to go with: Probably not. I can't see relatively acidic cider being in contact with that container for long enough to ferment without the container being compromised and/or leaching undesirables into the cider.

Also, will likely be nearly impossible to get all the residue out of that container.

I'm going to go with: Probably not. I can't see relatively acidic cider being in contact with that container for long enough to ferment without the container being compromised and/or leaching undesirables into the cider.

My thoughts exactly. Don't be surprised when the cider begins to taste like metal.

It's possible that the container is lined. I think that beer and soda cans are.

For a limited time only. It would be difficult to sanitize a lining without damage. I myself have reused lined mini-kegs. After a couple of batches, the beverage inevitably tastes like iron/metal/blood because the lining is no longer absolutely perfect.

What about checking i for unwanted materials like bisphenol A and such?

What about checking i for unwanted materials like bisphenol A and such?

Polycarbonate (PC) in the primary material with which their concerns around BPA. It is a precursor of the polymer itself. It is also present in metal cans, as it is a also a precursor of many of the food-safe coatings and liners.

Polypropylene (PP) or polyethylene (PE) usually do not contain BPA. So, go for a container made of those materials.

The presence of the food-safe icon (fork/wineglass) does not necessarily mean BPA-free, as it is considered food-safe by many organizations.

If thoroughly cleaned I think that would work well.
any good efficient way of cleaning it from oil and all the other stuff that was there? i used boiled water and washing up liquid on few so far...it got bit deformed - but not too bad...just wondering if boiling water could damage any lining that's presumably is there

Back