Quantcast

food grade aluminium tins for making cider

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

The_Bishop

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to go with: Probably not. I can't see relatively acidic cider being in contact with that container for long enough to ferment without the container being compromised and/or leaching undesirables into the cider.

Also, will likely be nearly impossible to get all the residue out of that container.

dmtaylor

Lord Idiot the Lazy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to go with: Probably not. I can't see relatively acidic cider being in contact with that container for long enough to ferment without the container being compromised and/or leaching undesirables into the cider.
My thoughts exactly. Don't be surprised when the cider begins to taste like metal.

dmtaylor

Lord Idiot the Lazy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's possible that the container is lined. I think that beer and soda cans are.
For a limited time only. It would be difficult to sanitize a lining without damage. I myself have reused lined mini-kegs. After a couple of batches, the beverage inevitably tastes like iron/metal/blood because the lining is no longer absolutely perfect.

OP
misha

misha

Reaction score
What about checking i for unwanted materials like bisphenol A and such?

bucketnative

Reaction score
What about checking i for unwanted materials like bisphenol A and such?
Polycarbonate (PC) in the primary material with which their concerns around BPA. It is a precursor of the polymer itself. It is also present in metal cans, as it is a also a precursor of many of the food-safe coatings and liners.

Polypropylene (PP) or polyethylene (PE) usually do not contain BPA. So, go for a container made of those materials.

The presence of the food-safe icon (fork/wineglass) does not necessarily mean BPA-free, as it is considered food-safe by many organizations.

OP
misha

misha

Reaction score
If thoroughly cleaned I think that would work well.
any good efficient way of cleaning it from oil and all the other stuff that was there? i used boiled water and washing up liquid on few so far...it got bit deformed - but not too bad...just wondering if boiling water could damage any lining that's presumably is there