Food coloring in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatsFan1985

Reaction score
There's a few threads about food coloring, but none mention anything specific other than "a few drops". I'm looking to make a blueberry wheat beer. I'm using 6lbs 2-row, 4lb of white wheat, and a pound of flaked wheat. They've said that adding blue coloring to yellow beer will turn it green, but I have a feeling this beer wont be too yellow to begin with.

The question is: how much food coloring do I add? I plan to drop it in while I'm racking the beer to the secondary, that way it sort of stirs itself in. This is a normal 5 gallon batch as well.

Screwing around at st. pattys time: two drops of blue in a pint glass of miller light did turn it green. but the more blue you put in the more it turned blue.

why not get the blue color from real blueberries since it is a blueberry wheat?

why not get the blue color from real blueberries since it is a blueberry wheat?

I actually am using real blueberries! I plan to actually use them in the mash, (and adding pectic enzyme when I pitch the yeast), and fresh blueberries in the secondary. You may be right though, I should get some blue color from putting them in!

Back