Foamy top with US-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpiton

Reaction score
beer10_20140218_1.jpg

I am on my second batch of beer in my short career lol! The first batch was ok so I started a second batch. The first fermentation of this batch had a thick foam to the top similar to the picture . It was in a plastic pale with a loose cover with no air lock. After 7 days, I removed the foam with a spoon and then transfer the beer in the second fermenter. Should I have waited that the foam sank before transfering ? Also should I go on and bottle this beer anyway. It's in second fermetation for 14 days now and it's crystal clear

That foam is the krausen which contains much of the yeast. Unless you are trying to harvest the yeast by top cropping (something you shouldn't do unless you are very confident in your sanitation) you absolutely shouldn't mess with it. The krausen will fall on its own 99% of the time when the beer is finished and as it starts to clear up.

Also, I would avoid using a secondary unless it is necessary for a fruit addition or an extended aging time.

In the future, just wait for this foam (known as the krausen) to naturally drop out. Secondaries are now widely thought to be unnecessary in the homebrewing community. My typical method is to give the beer about 1-2 weeks after the krausen drops before I bottle it. Depends on how heavy of a beer it is, though. Sometimes I give them 2-3 additional weeks after the primary fermentation is done.

Thanks for the quisk replies. I have that beer in secondary now. You guys think it will be ok anyway or i should just throw away and start a new batch? In the future i should just use a primary fermentor with a air-lock?

yes, as mentioned above, let the beer do its thing during fermentation. your batch should be ok, but you removed a bunch of the yeast, may not get full fermentation, or it may take forever.
The krausen will drop out on its own, one of the ways you can tell when the fermentation is getting done. Just get it going, and let it do its thing. try to maintain the appropriate temp during fermentation if you can.
Definitely use an airlock.
Secondary not really necessary.

I would have left it in primary for the duration, but I don't think you'll have any problems. The krausen with S-05 tends to hang around on top for a while after fermentation is done. You've likely got plenty of yeast still in suspension to clean up fermentation by products and to carb when you are ready to bottle.

Back