Foamy beer after priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello guys! I have been homebrewing for about 2 years, recently I bought a fridge to control my fermenentation better (picture attached). Doing that increased my beer flavor a lot however, I am now reaching an stability problem, whenever my beer is primed it last at room temperature for about two to three weeks carbonating, once carbonation is done it gets into the fridge at about 4C for almost two weeks. After that my beer is perfectly carbonated and taste really well, the problem is sometimes I have to take them out to the fridge and move them to another place I which they stay at room temperature for about 4 to 5 days, after that I puta them in the fridge again for a couple of days but then when I open them they are all foamy and never stabilize back again, this has become a problem because I usually give this beers as a gift and people can have them I. Their fridge until they free some space, is there any input you guys can give me? Could my beer be infected? Is there a way is refermenting again causing the beer to overcarb? Is there a way I can improve stability to avoid this? Thanks!!!!!

Attachments

• 429030852.jpg
    429030852.jpg
    736 KB · Views: 51
Over-carbonation results from any of the following
  • Bottling before fermentation completes
  • Too much priming sugar or improper mixing
  • Contamination by a high attenuation yeast
What to do?
  • Increase temperature of the fermentation for the last few days. This will help ensure full attenuation.
  • Use a priming sugar calculator and a scale to measure the sugar. Dissolve it in hot water and the rack the beer onto it.
  • Use proper cleaning and sanitizing methods and techniques, especially after using any diastaticus yeast strains or Brettanomyces.
Cheers

After the bottles are done priming don't put them in the fridge until you are ready to drink. Just keep them in a cool dry place until ready to use. When you refridgerate the beer and cool the beer to 4 C you slow the priming process down and the yeast go dormant. When you take them out of the fridge and get them back to room temp you begin the process of priming again. This where the foam is coming from. If you don't have room for all the bottles and have to keep them in the fridge, make sure you keep them cold when you give them as gifts. Keep them in a cooler until your destination.

After the bottles are done priming don't put them in the fridge until you are ready to drink. Just keep them in a cool dry place until ready to use. When you refridgerate the beer and cool the beer to 4 C you slow the priming process down and the yeast go dormant. When you take them out of the fridge and get them back to room temp you begin the process of priming again. This where the foam is coming from. If you don't have room for all the bottles and have to keep them in the fridge, make sure you keep them cold when you give them as gifts. Keep them in a cooler until your destination.
Sorry, but no.

Once the sugar is consumed, the carbonation process is done. No amount of cooling or warming will cause further carbonation.

Putting them in the fridge after carbonating is a good idea beside it increases the shelf life (by slowing oxidation), improves clarity, and actually reduces foaming because when particles settle there are less nucleation points to cause foaming.

Cheers

Last edited:
Back