Foam Residue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NortheasternPJ

Reaction score
This is a complete beginner question but, I've done 4 batches now last night I brewed a pale ale last weekend, started fermenting after about 15 hours, which was fine. The next morning, the top of the fermenter was covered in crap from the beer fermenting and the air lock blown off.

Is this fine and should I just leave it as it is? I'm guessing yes but figured I'd ask.

nn5fyu.jpg

Re-cover, re-attach air lock / blow-off hose, and patiently wait it out. You can clean the bucket when fermentation is over very easily with a little Oxy, PBW, or what ever cleanser you use. You just witnessed one heck of rolling fermentation :)

For future reference; just as Revvy pointed out, use a blow off for at least the first week. Trust me, it saves so much stress. Save the air lock for the end of fermentation if you must or secondary.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm going down to the brew shop after traffic dies down and getting another fermenter and I'll get a blow off tube.

You just witnessed one heck of rolling fermentation.Save the air lock for the end of fermentation if you must or secondary.

Sounds good. It's calmed down after the first day or two and not really bubbling much at all now. I'm guessing this will work out fine.

Latest posts

Back