FNG: York, PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuickSilver08

Reaction score
Well, the title says most of it. New brewer in the York, PA area (Red Lion) I've toyed with the idea of brewing for a while now and recently pulled the trigger on some equipment. Brewed my first batch (IIPA) on the 18th and it is sitting happily in the primary. Been trying to read through some of the popular threads to gain additional knowledge. Any advice would be great.

:mug:
-Floyd

Hey, welcome. I'm from Lancaster, PA. There's tons of info about home brewing out there. Some stuff works for some people and doesn't for others. It can be hard sifting through all the information and figuring out what works best for you, but I guess that's part of the fun.

Read the stickies and look at the set ups and how others brew and then build your own. Adapt to your process and techniques to fit your space and style.

Hey, welcome. I'm from Lancaster, PA. There's tons of info about home brewing out there. Some stuff works for some people and doesn't for others. It can be hard sifting through all the information and figuring out what works best for you, but I guess that's part of the fun.

Thanks! Yeah, finding my style/set-up is where I'm stuck. I brewed an extract kit and it was rather underwhelming and easy. I think I need to move to BIAB or straight AG. Who knows?!

Read the stickies and look at the set ups and how others brew and then build your own. Adapt to your process and techniques to fit your space and style.

Thank you! BTW, I think I may steal your idea there with the reversed immersion chiller...great work.

-Floyd

I suggest picking up a copy of Palmer's "How to Brew" and Papazian's "The Complete Guide to Homebrewing". Read them through to get the basics and some of the science background. THEN compare their actual procedures to the more up to date procedures people have adopted here.
I also recommend Basic Brewing Radio and Brew Strong if you like listening to podcasts. I learned a tone from those two.
I'm pretty jealous of your location. My wife and I spent a long weekend hitting brewpubs and breweries between Philly and Lancaster. I think we hit 8 and still had a long list of recommended places to hit. LOTS of good beer!

I suggest picking up a copy of Palmer's "How to Brew" and Papazian's "The Complete Guide to Homebrewing". Read them through to get the basics and some of the science background. THEN compare their actual procedures to the more up to date procedures people have adopted here.
I also recommend Basic Brewing Radio and Brew Strong if you like listening to podcasts. I learned a tone from those two.
I'm pretty jealous of your location. My wife and I spent a long weekend hitting brewpubs and breweries between Philly and Lancaster. I think we hit 8 and still had a long list of recommended places to hit. LOTS of good beer!

Good thoughts! I have read JPs "How to Brew" but have yet to pick up "The Complete Guide."

I havent listened to those podcasts but will look them up, I normally watch Northern Brewers podcast though.
___
Other news, my IIPA is still going strong in the primary. The airlock smells soo good. I can't wait to get another batch going. Thinking about a BIAB wheat or pils. Both are styles I don't normally drink so it would be nice to add those to my line-up!

My wife and I spent a long weekend hitting brewpubs and breweries between Philly and Lancaster. I think we hit 8 and still had a long list of recommended places to hit. LOTS of good beer!
Which ones did you go to?
Which ones did you miss that you wish you went to?

I don't have my maps with me right now but I know we hit Victory, Sly Fox, Triumph in New Hope. We took the tour and bought a case to go at Wayerbacher. We hit Lancaster Brewing and were told of another one right in town there but couldn't find it. There were others we hit and missed but like I said ... no maps here.
Probably our favorite, both for the beer and the food was a little place called Crabby Larry's in Chalfont on Rt. 202 a bit west of New Hope. Pretty darn good beer and fantastic seafood all in a little strip mall. Family run place. Check it out if you get a chance. We made a detour and returned there last time we made out trip to NC to visit the grandkids. Just as good the second time around.

Back