Flying internationally with a full corny keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unicorn_Platypus

Urine I Pee... Eh?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have some mini half gallon kegs that I would like to travel with from Boston to Munich. The kegs will be full and under pressure.

Will I be allowed to fly internationally with this if I check it in my luggage?

Attachments

• 20220619_173207.jpg
    20220619_173207.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
I have some mini half gallon kegs that I would like to travel with from Boston to Munich. The kegs will be full and under pressure.

Will I be allowed to fly internationally with this if I check it in my luggage?
I'm just going to ask why you think there might be a beer shortage in Munich...

I'm just going to ask why you think there might be a beer shortage in Munich...
I'm visiting a friend in Belgium and want to give him some homebrew

Its actually going to be traveling with me via plane from Boston to Zurich then in a car from Zurich to the Dolomites then Munich. Then on plane from Munich to Cologne & then a train to Bruges.

He's coordinating for me to sit in on a brew day at Abbaye Des Rocs. I'd like to bring a gift of some homebrew and not have it be totally stale by the end of my journey.

I can do a closed counterpressure transfer to a keg whereas packaging in a bottle will be much more prone to oxidation along my travels.

I do have a way to counterpressure fill bottles via a tapcooler, but its not as good as a fully closed xfer.

With terrorism the way it is these days, and the additional hostilities coming from the Ukraine, I'd be hesitant to fly a container with that much liquid anywhere. Even a short domestic trip.

With terrorism the way it is these days, and the additional hostilities coming from the Ukraine, I'd be hesitant to fly a container with that much liquid anywhere. Even a short domestic trip.
Yeah I guess a metal vessel rated to 130 PSI might raise some red flags.

I'll just bottle it up & if its oxidized oh well

Definitely better off just filling a few bombers and putting them in plastic bags and then wrapping t-shirts around them and packing in your suitcase. Do you really want TSA taking your keg and beer?

Print some really nice labels and put on the bottles, make up a barcode (or scan one from another bottle) as well so on the cursory glance inspection, it is commercial beer.

I believe the domestic air travel rules allow for some small quantities of bottled beer, but as mentioned above, they need to have factory labels. Not sure what the international rules are, you may need to check the destination country.

I’m sure TSA would like to help “dispose” of your brew!

Definitely better off just filling a few bombers and putting them in plastic bags and then wrapping t-shirts around them and packing in your suitcase. Do you really want TSA taking your keg and beer?
That's what I usually do, but that was before I went down the low oxygen brewing rabbit hole!

LOL

Imagine the fun times you'd have if the plane had to make an emergency landing in the UAE. You'd probably get the death penalty.

I’m sure TSA would like to help “dispose” of your brew!

They would probabally turn it over to the bomb disposal unit.

It would go into one of those containment trailers with a small detonating charge and when it was all over, the EOD guys would open the containment trailer and go, "hey man it smells like beer in here, wtf?" lol

That's what I usually do, but that was before I went down the low oxygen brewing rabbit hole!

LOL
I've brewed low oxygen, well before I got my Foundry which is not as LoDo friendly and shipped bottles to comps and they have maintained their goodness. I am sure bottles in a suitcase don't get bounced around much more than being in a hot truck driving cross country!

The risk of losing the keg is pretty high. Not only do you have to worry about what TSA might think but it could become a customs issue when you land. Even if they let you get the keg to its destination they might want to open it up to check which gets you the oxidation you worry about. You would also want to see if you will have to pay any taxes at customs getting it into Germany. A lot of work and a lot of risk when you could just fly some bottles in your suitcase. You should still check customs rules in Germany.

I'll just use my messy tapcooler counterpressure filler and call it a day.

Really do recommend these minikegs to everyone though . They are awesome!

So much better than growlers/bottles unless of course your flying across the world!

The guy who manufactures the flotit makes an awesome compact picnic tap with flow control. Pair this with a minikeg and a CO2 charger and you've got an amazing way to share your beer.

Also here's a video of counterpressure filling one of these kegs on my setup

I am living in Germany ... In regards to customs you are allowed to bring 16 liters of beer (roughly 4 gallons) per person with you to Germany. So no problem there 😃

I am living in Germany ... In regards to customs you are allowed to bring 16 liters of beer (roughly 4 gallons) per person with you to Germany. So no problem there 😃
I'll be traveling from the Dolomites through Innsbruck to Munich. Will have roughly two full days in Munich. Are there any local breweries in those areas that you recommend?

I'll also be in Cologne & Dusseldorf for about two days

This will be my first time in Germany

In Düsseldorf visit the altstadt and go to Uerige, Schumacher, zum Füschen and zum Schlüssel. All within walking distance of each other and all amazing
Oh wow! I didn't realize they were all that close to eachother

I'll have to have my coaster ready after the second little beer so I can hit all 4

It sounds like it could be dangerous if I'm not careful 😉

You're going to Europe. Go and enjoy the beer there. You'll be blown away at the difference of German beer you can buy in the states vs what you'll be able to drink there.
Not denying that, but I'm still bringing a homebrew as a gift to my friend in Belgium who originally inspired me to start brewing about 15 years ago.

I'll be traveling from the Dolomites through Innsbruck to Munich. Will have roughly two full days in Munich. Are there any local breweries in those areas that you recommend?

I'll also be in Cologne & Dusseldorf for about two days

This will be my first time in Germany
I am from northern Germany 😅 ... So not that experienced with Munich etc. BUT you should try the gutmanns hefeweizen. It is a small brewery and their beer is famous in German home brew forums. Especially because they are one of the few remaining breweries that bottle condition with the yeast they used to ferment the beer.

I also love Bayreuther hell.

Well, for cologne and düsseldorf ... I can't recommend kölsch or alt, but you should try them 🤣

Back