Flying Dog article and Raging ***** IPA...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing I've learned about brewery names is that if you have the word "dog" in there somewhere, you'll most likely be successful.

I've tried the Raging ***** IPA twice now... one in February at the brewery, and then again last week at a pub in town. Both times, I've been unimpressed. There's this astringent harshness to it which distracts me. It was far more pronounced in February than it was last week, but it's still there.

always enjoyed taking their tour and listening to the stories of how they came to be and their battles. cool brewery IMO.

love the raging ***** also:ban:

Pretty good brewery, and why shouldn't it be - it started in Colorado...
As a Marylander, it's pretty exciting seeing a company close to home do this well. I saw on BeerAdvocate the other day that FD was in the top 50 for craft beer sales in the US last year. Pretty cool considering some of the other names that it was up against. As for raging *****, I was pleasantly surprised when I tried it, didn't think it was going to be that good, but I'd give it a B+.

I had their Gonzo Imp Porter the other day and fell in love with it. Lots of good ol' alcohol burn in that one. They still have several I need to try, but most have been damn good so far!

I have had raging ***** and felt that it is two times better than Stones Belgian IPA. Those are the only two Belgian IPA's I have tried. Stone's tasted like liquid medicine and was just unbalanced. I think that Flying Dog did well in blending the two styles to fit.

I have had raging ***** and felt that it is two times better than Stones Belgian IPA. Those are the only two Belgian IPA's I have tried. Stone's tasted like liquid medicine and was just unbalanced. I think that Flying Dog did well in blending the two styles to fit.

Have you tried Chouffe Houblon? It's more like a Belgian Strong Ale utilizing C-hops, than a West Coast IPA utilizing Belgian Ale yeast. Piraat falls in the same category.

Both approaches qualify as Belgian-IPA's, but are very distinct from each other. Anyway, give the Belgian incarnations a try, they're different from Raging ***** in a good way, and you can count on them being very well-balanced.

Back