Flow Meter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HowlingHog

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has found and used an in-line meter that could withstand boiling temps?

Place it at the end of the line, and it would allow precision for mashing/sparging and then pumping wort.

I got a brass one from Aliexpress that's rated to 80 Celsius, use it on the filling line for the BK sometimes. It's a hall effect device that has a little propeller inside the pipe that pulses a magnetic sensor mounted on the outside. Some calibration was required.

They do come in stainless steel, but still rated to 80 Celsius. The blades of the propeller might deform at higher temps since they are plastic.

I was about to suggest the same solution - after inquiring if the OP was looking for a digital device that could survive extended exposure to high temperatures ("Bring lots of money")....

Cheers!

A Blue White Flowmeter F-450 is rated for boiling temps. Get one on ebay. I paid $30 but there are usually a bunch available for around $50.

https://www.blue-white.com/blue-white-products/f-450n-polysulfone-molded-2/

Example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-White-Flowmeter-F-450-series-F-45376LHN-6-NEW-IN-BOX/263048032603

Check that the pipe fittings are 1/2 NPT.
I have a similar one I bought a few years ago from eBay but a different brand and the clear acrylic tbe is full of micro cracks from the sparge water temps.. good to know that brand of one is good with those temps.

I have a similar one I bought a few years ago from eBay but a different brand and the clear acrylic tbe is full of micro cracks from the sparge water temps.. good to know that brand of one is good with those temps.

Just checked mine for cracks and there are none, in fact, it still looks new after a year.

As a bonus, it also functions as sight glass :rock:

Back