Floating fruit question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q2XL

Reaction score
This past Monday-3 days ago-I made Schramm's Fall Bounty Cyser. It contains 8 ounces of raisins and 8 ounces of chopped dates. I just tossed them into the cyser. I did not use a mesh bag. I have been degassing it everyday and adding some oxygen.

Well, I just found out that I have to go out of town this Saturday for 1 week. I will continue to degas for the next 3 days(wish I could degas for a couple of more).

The fruit is obviously floating. I am concerned that I might have problems with the fruit floating on top of the cyser for 1 week without being stirred since the alcohol % won't be that high at this point. I don't want the fruit to start rotting or whatever other bad things can happen to it.

So what should I do? RDWHAHB, get the fruit out, pray etc.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I just did the same recipe last month. I was amazed how quickly it fermented. Went from 1.095 to 1.039 in 6 days and fermented almost completely dry in 12 days.

I don't know about cysers, but the two times I used fruit in beer it floated, molded, and tasted great :D (the beer, not the fruit...) I figured it was harmless, just don't stir it back in if it's molded.

Back