Floating Dip Tube Replacement Tubing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikeMan

It ain't all burritos and strippers, my friend.
Reaction score
I have several floating dip tubes I got from MoreBeer, i.e. the "Torpedo Keg Buoy" floating dip tubes and I want to replace some of the tubing. I messaged MoreBeer and they told me that the tubing is "The Ultra Barrier Silver™ Antimicrobial and PVC Free Beer Tubing - 1/4 in." I've never used that before (in my draft system), but I would have thought it's not the same thing as the insanely flexible silicone (or silicone-like) tubing that came with the original floating dip tube assemblies. Anyone replaced their tubing and/or know for sure? TIA.

I've ordered silicone off of Amazon. You're right that silicone is the right stuff for flexibility, and it's why they use it.

You want the thin walled stuff (1 mm wall thickness) as the stiffer stuff can lead to ball sticking. I've had much better luck after replacing.

I can look up the exact measurement tomorrow.

7mm ID x 9mm OD. When you search Amazon you find all kinds of lengths at different prices. Looks like the one I bought from is no longer available. The key is that 1 mm wall thickness (2mm difference between ID and OD). You can buy other stuff that is 2mm wall thickness, but I found through experimentation that I would run into more issues with that stiffer tubing causing the ball to get stuck after about ~1 gallon out of the keg, when the tubing was in a 'U' shape.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PHJYSC8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would just buy bulk silicone tubing. What's wrong with the tubing that came with the dip tubes? Does it wear out or is it not silicone?

I just started using floating dip tubes. I'm using the tubing that was supplied so no clue as to the ID.

I suggest getting your drill bits out, match the dip tube OD and a drill bit, google drill bit size to mm, order one size mm smaller tubing.

do you have tubing brushes? small diameter and very long wire handles.

do you have tubing brushes? small diameter and very long wire handles.

I do. But in my experience, they scratch tubing. And scratchy plastic/rubber is no good for sanitation IMO.

I do. But in my experience, they scratch tubing. And scratchy plastic/rubber is no good for sanitation IMO.
I would have to agree. I have a set of tubing brushes at least 20 years...Can't recall ever using them ever. Might be good for pick up tubes but I'm already converting to floating pickups.

Email these folks. They’ll sell you exactly what’s on their floating dip tubes. They don’t list it directly on their site but they sent me a PayPal invoice and sold me enough to replace all four of mine. Super cool people. www.ballandkeg.com. Their email is [email protected]

Back