floaties, poison, blindness oh my.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogermugs

Reaction score
So with our first batch I was trying to make a point to my friend that while we should be careful with sanitation we don't need to worry too much about mistakes etc... To help make the point I took the dredges of our first batch ( which were a lot, thanks to a mistake in our all-grain filtering which led to hand filtering our wort) and I put them in a seperate small carboy. I pitched a local dry brewers yeast in place of the ale yeast we are maintaining for our regular brewing.

We had cold weather for a bit but apart from bottling it a little too early and adding a bit too much priming sugar (I used shelf honey) and therefore exploding upon opening, it turned out relatively drinkable. Not great mind you, but WAY better than any locally available beer.

So my question is this. I barely sanitized the carboy, the bottles, the caps, etc... All for the point of making a point. Also I used the worst part of the beer. Other than the beer going sour (which it didn't) what do I need to worry about? It's got some serious floaties. If it tastes like beer do I not worry about it? What does it take for a bad batch to make you really sick? Does it have a distinctive flavor if it will?

Will you ever go blind on a bad batch? Lose your hearing or any other concernable problems other than losing good wort to bad yeast and thus icky beer?

Pathogens (bacteria and viruses that make you sick) cannot live in beer. None of the byproducts of yeast reproduction/metabolism are harmful, either, unless of course you count ethanol...

RDWHAHB!

Other than the beer going sour (which it didn't) what do I need to worry about? It's got some serious floaties. If it tastes like beer do I not worry about it? What does it take for a bad batch to make you really sick? Does it have a distinctive flavor if it will?

Will you ever go blind on a bad batch? Lose your hearing or any other concernable problems other than losing good wort to bad yeast and thus icky beer?

No, and this is the miracle of beer. This is the reason beer has been around for thousands of years and countless times throughout history was consumed instead of water. No harmful pathogens can survive in beer, plain and simple.

But alcohol can kill you. Easily. If you have too much.

Smells like underage or troll to me. He lists his age as 90, that means he's probably 15...

come on, does that seem like something a teenager would pick?
ha. why do forums allow you to pick 1903 as a birthdate anyhow?

thanks for following all my posts around and adding wealth to the information by the way.

Back