Floaters completely suspended in cider - what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theDarkPint

Reaction score
Just some background on this cider and the steps I've done:

- Ingredients consist of just 5gal of local unpasteurized cider and wyeast 1098. OG read 1.060 on a hydrometer.
- Fermented for about a month - very active.
- Cold crash in primary (~38 degrees) when SG hit .997
- Mixed a solution of pectic enzyme and potassium sorbate. Poured this into secondary.
- Slowly racked chilled cider from primary to secondary and put it back in the keezer to clarify.
- After 2 weeks, it looked pretty clear (minor haze) so I racked it into a keg on top of a couple cans of apple concentrate and set it to slow carb (10 psi).

So that's how I got to today. It's been about 4 days so I pulled off some cider to taste it. Floaters. No problem, I see this with the beer, I'll just pull a pint or so and it'll be gone. Nope, that didn't work. When I poured into the second pint and let it sit, the sediment floats in the middle of the cider. Some sinks, but a large amount is left in suspension. Think of fruit in a jello mold.

The taste is good (very good for being so simple) but I'm concerned about the floaters. Any ideas/suggestions? Debating buying a pack of super kleer but I'd like a second (and third, fourth, fifth, etc) opinion before I pull the trigger.

Thanks!

Back