Flexible Gas Line?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Duderino

Reaction score
Is there a brand/type of gas line that stays flexible in cold temps?
The red stuff I'm using gets so stiff its a pain to move me CO2 Bottle and kegs around in my kegerator.

You don't have to use the double walled "red stuff" if you don't want to. You can even use the same kind of line you're using on the liquid side if you want.

That said, you'd probably be losing some durability and, depending on the new line, possibly increasing O2 permeability a bit.

Silicone stays flexible even at low temps. As a matter of fact low-temperature applications are the reason why silicone gaskets exist.
On the other hand it's the most oxygen permeable synthetic rubber known to man so you'd be trading a small incovenience for an even larger one (oxidation).

^exactly^

Well over a year ago now I stumbled across some data on the EVAbarrier tubing that convinced me it was the best beer line available then - and now - and promptly switched every foot of tubing across all of my systems - beer and gas - to EVAbarrier. Even my keg purging lines are EVAbarrier now...

Cheers!

In my experience, there is almost no difference in bend radius between EVAbarrier and solid PVC ala Bevlex 200.
This is somewhere between 1" and 2"...

1616299663948.png

Cheers!

I have a suspicion you may be conflating EVABarrier tubing with Bevseal Ultra Series 235, which is notorious for a tough bend radius.
I haven't seen anyone complaining about the former bend radius, and would be suspicious of anyone that does :)
It really is quite easily manipulated...

Cheers!

I have a suspicion you may be conflating EVABarrier tubing with Bevseal Ultra Series 235, which is notorious for a tough bend radius.
I haven't seen anyone complaining about the former bend radius, and would be suspicious of anyone that does :)
It really is quite easily manipulated...

Cheers!
That’s entirely possible. I’ve looked into both.

Well over a year ago now I stumbled across some data on the EVAbarrier tubing that convinced me it was the best beer line available then - and now

Please share that data, as I have a hard time believing that a line with internal pressure will allow oxygen into the line, as it defies logic and pressure dynamics.

To those who are running Evabarrier what is the solution for attaching it to a Taprite (T742) regulator barb? Seems I've read on here somewhere that it's impossible, or damn near impossible, to switch the barb out for for an MFL connection.

My Taprites came with mfl shutoffs, but my Micromatic beergas reg came with a 3/8" barb (!)
I was able to get the 5mm ID EVAbarrier tubing over that barb using a swaging tool and heat. I wouldn't be confident I could have done it with the 4mm ID EVAbarrier that I use for all my beer lines...

Cheers!

Common sense is not the same as scientific reality and are unfortunately in direct conflict often.
You mean scientific theory, of course. Concepts like reality belong to philosophy or something else that can't be mentioned. You gotta love epistemiology! ;)

Common sense is not the same as scientific reality and are unfortunately in direct conflict often.

The argument from personal incredulity is possibly the most common logical fallacy. And the hardest to shake.

Back