flavouring beers with fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishrover32

Reaction score
basically i have a witbier thats been in primary for 2 weeks now, im going to bottle it next weekend but iv decided id like to try and flavour a portion of it with orange, i take it ill have to move it to a secondary carboy, could someone explain the processe thats involved in flavouring beers with fruit in secondary and how long it should take?

I have always added citrus late in my boil. Too late for that on this batch but if you are hell bent on citrus now, I would consider the addition of 2-3 tablespoons of orange extract to the bottom of your secondary and then rack onto it.

Now, if you want to get wild and really be rewarded, ponder this-- I just finished a strawberry ale that is amazing! I racked the beer from my primary onto about 8 pounds (roughly 3.5 kilos) of sliced, frozen strawberries. This is the link to the recipe from our community. The key here is to use strawberries that have no preservatives and are entirely frozen. This ensures your yeast remain happy, ensures quality, and minimizes infection.

If you like it (and I think you will) the credit goes to Bluelinebrewer... his recipe is awesome!

Good luck,

-Ritalin

Extract is the way to go on this! You can get crazy and try a lot more stuff with this batch. I usually try different extracts and quantities at bottle time with different carbonation levels to find the perfect level of everything. When I do the second batch I know where to start and what to avoid.

Back