Flavoured Vodka

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aurelie

Reaction score
I'm using T500 and wondering if I can add flavours as part of the process or would the best option be to infused the vodka once done? I was looking at vanilla and peanut butter recipes...

If you are using the column, adding flavors after distilling would be better, as the column will likely strip off a lot of the flavor compounds.

Using it as a pot still might allow more flavors to make it into the distillate, but then you can't really make clean vodka with a pot still.

Brew on :mug:

i'm thinking something like gin? stringing up some peanuts and vanilla beans in the column, so the vapor goes over them?

Some flavours work best re-distilled (eg. juniper), some work well simply soaked in the finished spirit. Vanilla is great without re-distilling (spiced rums are done like that), but I wouldn't have a clue for peanut butter (it's not high on my list of flavours to try in spirits). My guess is that the oils are going to be problematic.

As Doug's already said, no point adding botanicals during a reflux run (it strips flavours) unless you can somehow add it to the vapour as it leaves the column before condensing. It's more common to make your neutral, then run it again in pot mode through/with botanicals.

Back