Flavoring Juice in Primary or Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracyt1800

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In my local grocery store I ran across a bottle of RW Knudsen's pomegranate juice (pure juice, pasteurized but no sulfites and such). I thought that would be pretty good in a cyser.

In the past my meads have always been with actual fruit and it was put in the primary. But I read (here at HBT somewhere) about people putting flavoring fruit (or, theoretically, juice) in the secondary.

Is there a reason I would want to add the pomegranate juice in the secondary instead of in the primary? Are there pros and cons to each approach? Does it vary by juice (like if I wanted to get some of their tart cherry juice)?

Thanks,
Tracy

Whatever flavour is choasen forthe secondary, will dictate the more predominant flavour you taste in the finished product...

for example, if you make and apple and pomegranate cider and put it in the seconary, the sugars in the pomegranate juice will be eaten during fermentation, leaving with a general apple taste, but if its put into secondary, it can add to the existing flavour and bring in that pomegranate flavour you seem to be looking for.

It's a personal choice, based on what I've read the consensus is flavour the secondary for how you want it to be.

Hope this Halps, Cheers.

Back