Flavor Bombs!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bb239605

Reaction score
Grand Canyon Brewing introduced in-bottle plastic vessels called “flavor bombs” in December

This week’s acclamation goes out to the Flavor Bomb, an invention from Grand Canyon Brewing Co. in Williams, Ariz. Sent to shelves in December, these tiny plastic vessels are made to be stuffed with additional ingredients — wood chips, cocoa nibs, hops — and added to a bottle of beer before capping.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/2013/02/grand_canyon_hop_bomber_ipa_flavor_bomb.php

Seems kind of gimmecky to me. It is a neat idea but I imagine it tastes way better fresh. Any extended aging I would think is going to start to give you undesirable flavors. Hops start to taste vegetal and grass like from extended dry hops, wood will start to make the beer very tannic/harsh, etc.

I like the innovation, and I may even try one if I am ever in the area, but I dont think I would buy a beer that has been sitting on the shelf for more than a week or two.

What do you think of this idea?

Back