Flat keg beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheldonpitts

Reaction score
Set up kegging for first time. Has keg in refrigerator with Co2 tank set to 14 psi. Beer has flat taste and lots of foam. Just wondering what I can do to change it so I can get some good beer.

I have my keg in a full size fridge. I had it in there for 2 weeks. My line is only 3 feet long. It’s still in the fridge. My bar is not ready yet so this is my set up so far.

Attachments

• A2960EE4-D0EF-420E-9918-7B59D75E9023.jpeg
    A2960EE4-D0EF-420E-9918-7B59D75E9023.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
You can get foamy pours and also have the beer be undercarbonated, which sounds like what you have, maybe. Maybe turn the pressure up to 20 psi and let it sit for a few days, bleed the excess pressure and then set it at whatever you are going to serve it at, probably less than 10 psi. Once its carbed (there are bubbles in the beer, not just foam) I don't worry too much about too much foam - let it sit in the glass for a few minutes and you're good to go. I like a nice layer of foam, its part of the good-beer experience for me. And some folks say it helps enhance aroma, always a good thing.

I have my keg in a full size fridge. I had it in there for 2 weeks. My line is only 3 feet long. It’s still in the fridge. My bar is not ready yet so this is my set up so far.

You need a much longer line. Having the line that short causes the CO2 to come out of solution, meaning the beer has lots of foam but tastes flat.

Back