Flanders Red Solera... Thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stu4stew

Reaction score
So as the title state I will be brewing a flanders red solera, over the christmas holidays. I am fortunate to have the availability of a 4 yr old american oak 30 gal barrel that has had cab sauv in it, and it will soon become home for the flanders red.

I have a few questions for everyone out there?

First hows the recipe look?
5 gal batch size
5# Pils
5# Vienna
2.25 # Munich
1.5# wheat
.75# c60
.75# CaraMunich
.33# c120
.33# Special B
M@158
90 min boil for pils
1 oz EKG 60

Additionally I have a couple ? re yeast propagation.
I would love to pitch WY 3763 Roeselare, but I dont want to buy 6 packages to keep ratios the same. I am thinking of pitching some slurry from a WL013 that was used to make a mild and then maybe 2 packets of WY 3763 and letting it ride out for the next year.

What does everyone think?

I'd think the yeast plan is fine. Will you primary in the barrel or transfer in after the WLP013? I'm wondering if you'd want to limit Sacc trub in a solera, since it would just get topped up when you pull from it. Sounds like a great barrel, though I'd be tempted to start with some clean beers to make it a little less winey, personally. I also like the recipe.

I used roeselare for the first time a month or so ago. I kept reading that the blend does better on the second pitch, so I didn't hesitate to make a starter with it. No clue if the results will be good, but food for thought.

No starter, and no WLP013. Just pitch a couple of packs of Roeselare.

The bug mixes are deliberately made with a low amount of sacc, so the bugs can have a little time to get established before the sacc starts to crate alcohol. Alcohol slows down the bugs. If you make a starter, or ferment with a different yeast first, you just slow down the souring process.

Run a couple of beers thru the barrel first so it doesn't get too oaky.

Latest posts

Back